Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer recovery

Old 11-15-2003, 01:24 PM

Default Deer recovery

Well it was inevitable! GUT SHOT! After all the does and spikes I have shot this year and none ran further than 60 yrds. I finally get a shot at a big 8pt with a 24" spread. I never grunted or whistled to make it stop and shot to far back! ugh@#&** I shot it last night and could not go out today to look for it. How long does it take to expire on a gut shot? If i look first thing in the morning do you think the meat and cape will still be good? It hasn' t got over 45 degress in the day and dips to low 30' s at night?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:29 PM

Default RE: Deer recovery

depends could be 2 hours could be 10-12 hours. point is if at all possible you should of been out there this afternoon to start tracking or if not then this evening with a coleman, IMO i would want to keep the deer moving a little to keep it bleeding. at least have a crew to help grid tomorrow on call if you can' t track to it, and at those temps the meat should still be good
Old 11-15-2003, 01:30 PM
nub

I shot it last night and could not go out today to look for it.
Why?[:' (] Then you should have given it a few hours and gone after it last night. I take it you found your arrow? Did you see the hit?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:49 PM

I was waiting for you guys to pelt me with the YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THERE LATER THAT NIGHT, THE NEXT DAY ect... ect.....ect..... Your talking to a guy who has waded though swaps up to my neck at 2 in the morn to recover deer. Unfourtunatly my grandmother had to have an operation last night and I had to show up to work for a company that employs 3000 and if I don' t show up they might not be able to work and I tried to get someone to cover but no one would/could
Old 11-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

In your cooler temps, you should be able to salvage the cape and most of the meat...if you find it soon and properly care for the animal immediately....

I hope you show this deer as much enthusiam as your second post.....
Old 11-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer would still be good I shot one last evening and didnt get it until this morning and no problem with it of course it was around 30 last night.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:49 PM

Thank you to all that posted and for the extra vote of confidence. I am headed out at 4 am with 1 hound 1 sheperd, about 50 guys from my hunting club and I may rent a small aircraft for a few hours just to make sure I cover all the ground. Really though not finding game that you know is going to or has already died is heatbreaking. Its not the rack that i' m worried about its the wasting part I hate. One time a novice bowhunter friend of mine havested his first doe and told me he felt bad about it. I told him it was okay to feel that way and that is part of hunting, I also explained he should prepare himself for the one that got away.

(guess who' s got to get up in the morning with me!)
Old 11-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Goodluck,, and let us know when you find it.