Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Youth Hunt in Maryland Tomorrow

Old 11-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Youth Hunt in Maryland Tomorrow

How many of you will be out with your kids? I will have my ten year old son out all day if he is up to it. Maybe he can get the 10 point that I saw last Tuesday?

If you are bowhunting tomorrow, remember there will be kids with guns in the woods. Safety first. No deer is worth your life!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:12 PM

Default RE: Youth Hunt in Maryland Tomorrow

Also you have an orange requirement, don' t forget your safety push-up colored caps and vest.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:35 PM

hope to see you at the check in station .

i will be taking my little brother in law out for the third year in the row.
we will be hunting in clarksburg .
Old 11-14-2003, 04:18 PM

No youth gun here. I hunt on private property and know that the ajoining property will have 3 young men with thier dads hunting on it. I talk to one of the fathers and they plan on doing some drives through thier property .So with that said I will be in the treestand with all my orange on well before they start.

Dave

Old 11-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ac00buck,
What checking station do you use. I usually go to the Flint Hill Grocery. Nice folks.
Good luck tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:10 PM

I talk to one of the fathers and they plan on doing some drives through thier property .So with that said I will be in the treestand with all my orange on well before they start.
That may pay off for you very well. Deer don' t know property lines. Since I am helping a buddy with his son, I' ll be driving for them in the afternoon. The morning I am going out solo in PG the afternoon will be on a farm they use in Frederick.
B
Old 11-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

I have nothing against kids being in the woods hunting. I think it' s a great way to continue the sport and it' s a great bonding experience between parent and child. It' s a win win situation all around.

But why do they run these things in conjunction with bow season and while the woods are already full of adult hunters? Why don' t they choose a specific weekend and make it " youth hunt only" ? It seems like it would be a safer way to do things.

My thoughts are somewhat of a carry over from the post about the youth hunt accident in NH earlier this year on the Regional section though so I guess I' m a bit jaded.

Do the hunter orange requirements cover everyone or just the gun hunters?
Old 11-14-2003, 08:07 PM

EVERYONE hunting in Maryland tomorrow is required to wear hunter orange. Even though it' s a requirement, the number of bow hunters that refuse to wear the orange is alarming. I just pray that there will never be an accident that would tarnish this fine day for our youth.

With the rut at its peak, the youth see a lot of activity on ' their' day. I can' t tell you how excited my son gets when he sees all the deer activity. He' s been with me for about 5 years now and has had his share of successes. Each one is a joy for him and a tremendous day for me. My daughter is now too old and will have to sit this one out. She was very disappointed, but she enjoyed about 6 youth days with me.

I' m routing for ALL the kids tomorrow. I' m more than glad to give up a day for the youth of our sport.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:28 AM

I can' t wait to show Davidmil the pictures when he gets back from NY. My son shot a VERY NICE 8 pointer yesterday with an 18" inside spread. Father and son were both very happy. He passed on several small bucks and even saw the HAMMER, but he was way too far away. The one he shot only went 30 yards and dropped in the same spot where the first deer he ever shot dropped. Now that is coincidental.

Take youth hunting. It' s a trill!!!

Old 11-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Len and a big congrats to you both I took my Grandson and a friend of his this year in WV on the youth hunt and bothgot a deer the friends dad wouldnt take him needless to say the young man was estatic and so was I