Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peanut Butter Jar Feeder ?

Old 11-13-2003, 12:07 PM

Default Peanut Butter Jar Feeder ?

A couple years back I read a post somewhere about a guy who nailed the lid of a peanut butter jar to the tree, screwed the jar onto the lid, and cut the bottom out of the jar - he claimed the deer loved it and licked it clean - any of you ever heard of this or had any success with it ? It sounds like a neat idea, and very portable too !
Old 11-13-2003, 12:12 PM

Default RE: Peanut Butter Jar Feeder ?

Ive heard of it but squirrells,chipmunks,racoons and every other animal like it also.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:02 PM

I posted that a while back. A guy I work with talked about it. You might get in trouble in some states as it could be considered baiting. The rule in TN is to have a salt lick gone 10 days before the season starts or it' s considered baiting. I' m sure the same applies to peanut butter. I haven' t tried it myself as it is " iffy" to start putting out the " Jiffy."
Old 11-13-2003, 03:59 PM

i bought a 1 gallon bucket from a deer feed distibutor , it had some other minerals mixed in with it . placed it by my corn pile ( this is legal in maryland all year long) . peanut butter was gone the next afternoon, what i thought was deer nocking it of the tree i hung it in turned out to be raccoons. next day bought some chhep peanut butter smeared it all over a board and placed a deer camera 20 yards away. went back that day 24 pics of at least 20 raccoons all in the same pic. after that i did not waste any more money on peanut butter.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:08 PM

ac00buck,

That is sooooo ironic the same exact thing happened to me down here on the eastern shore. I just moved here from New Jersey, are you allowed to bait deer on park property also????? It sure is some good huntin' here in misty bottom.

Jack