Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my first deer NOV. 2 and on camera too!!!

Old 11-12-2003, 01:02 AM

Default Got my first deer NOV. 2 and on camera too!!!

After 4 years of bowhunting without taking a shot in the field, I finally got a chance at a deer. I have always seen plenty of deer when hunting but I could never quite put all the right moves together to get a shot off.

I am a freshman in college this year and I wasn' t anticipating much hunting this year. Two weekends ago, I had a chance to go home and do some hunting on Sunday the second. My dad wanted to go with me and video tape the hunt from our " tree house." My dad and I built a big 8' x8' tree stand in a large oak tree that is in the middle of a big funnel on the side of a field on some of our land. This stand is awsome, we could sleep comfortably in the thing if we wanted too.

Anyway, my dad and I got up in the morning about an hour before dark and got our stuff together. We have a " cabin" about 400 yards from the woodlot that I hunted in that Sunday. We got into the stand about 25 minutes before dark and as I was getting my gloves and hat on, we heard some deer coming across a barbed wire fence 50 yards from the stand. I slowly and quietly got my bow and knocked an arrow. My dad turned the camera on and got that ready to go. THen it was time to wait for light. When it got to be light out, there were no deer to be seen. My guess is they heard me getting ready in the stand and slowly worked away from us.

About 20 minutes later, I heard a deer coming up on the stand behind me. I turned my head and saw a nice doe coming up the logging trail toward the stand. The deer was browsing the ground for food as it worked its way toward me. I waited for it to go behind some trees and then I stood up. The deer continued down the logging trail to within 18 yards of the stand. It stopped and started eating something on the ground. The only problem was that it was facing me. After several minutes the deer turned broadside and gave me a chance to draw back. I tried to draw back several times but each time, the deer would look in my direction. Finally, I was able to get to full draw. By this time I was shaking like a leaf because I had never gotten to full draw on a deer before.

I finally got my shot off but I hit the deer too far back. I knew right away that I had gut shot the deer, I was just shaking so bad from adrenaline. I don' t know how this happened but the arrow went through the stomach, and the last part of the liver. I got so lucky. The deer ran about 5 seconds, stopped, and fell over dead. The deer died exactly 40 yards from the tree.

I was so excited. I felt bad that I made a bad shot, but the deer died very quickly so I didn' t feel as bad as if it had ran for a long time. My dad and I went and got my arrow, went over to the deer, and he made me drag it to the field. He went and got his truck and helped me clean the deer in the field. Then we went and registered the deer.

When we got home, my dad and I watched the movie a few times and I took a long nap. I felt great. My second time in the woods the entire season, my first ever shot at an animal, my first bow killed deer. I have to admit I made a bad shot. But it turned out ok in the end.

I will never forget that day and I am glad that my dad was able to be there with me.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my first deer NOV. 2 and on camera too!!!

Way to go brother!

Are you sure you didn' t catch a lung? I' ve never heard of a liver shot dropping so quick.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your first deer, if you didn' t catch a lung you had to have cut a MAJOR artery to have her drop that quick!
Old 11-12-2003, 04:36 AM

Congratulations!!! Good story about you and your dad too!! The next deer should be easier from a nerves standpoint. Jim
Old 11-12-2003, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah my friends dad shot a buck with just liver, and it went for about 10 hours before dying.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your first deer and its great that you have it on video.
I' ve taken a couple of deer through the liver and its usually a 40 minute wait before they' re finished. They usually don' t travel far, maybe 50-75 yards but then they stand acting sick for a while, then lay down. Even liver and one lung, your deer seemed to expire very quickly. My bet is you caught an artery, the one probably that drops beneath the stomach.
What ever, I bet you and your dad were really pumped. It proabably was a high for him as well.
Happy Hunting
Dan
Old 11-12-2003, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Awesome hunting experience and congratulations on the deer. I hope to be able to get some video of my son harvesting a deer someday. I bet your dad was proud.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:14 AM

Thanks guys

When we gutted the deer, I found a perfect broadhead shaped hole in the back of the liver. Both lungs were in perfect shape. I couldn' t really distinguish any arteries because the inside of the deer was full of blood. The stomach was nowhere to be found, but the food was everywhere. When it was running, it just all of a sudden stopped and its front legs buckled. Then it started moaning for about 10 seconds and that was it. We stayed in the tree a while and then went and drug it out of the woods.