Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

Old 12-03-2003, 10:32 PM

Default RE: local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

high country ultra force,

are you drunk?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:47 PM

Old 12-04-2003, 05:36 AM

Experience #1 - One afternoon I was in stand and saw a doe headed my way and was in a hurry. The deer came straight in and stopped directly under my stand, no shot opportunity. I could hear her breathing quite heavily and as she turned her head to look back from where she came, I saw that her tongue was hanging out and slobbering all over the place. She then left as quickly as she had arrived. Well, about 5 minutes later, here comes a beagle right on the deer's trail, nose to the ground like a magnet. I was hunting a small piece of land near urban sprawl and knew the dog had an owner somewhere nearby. Didn't think about shooting that dog, but I gotta tell ya... it was a sad thing seeing that deer having to deal with such a menace.
Experience #2 - Was working on a dairy farm during the summer when in high school. Arrived to work one morning and my farmer boss was ranting & raving about that pack of wild dogs again. This time for good reason, a calf was laying dead with it's neck slashed open. The area farmers had banned together some weeks earlier and agreed to put down as many of this wild pack as possible.
Experience #3 - A few of us that share some property during bowhuntng season have spotted 4 dogs running together this season. They may have had an owner at one time, but obviously no longer. We have all agreed that any one of them that comes within range will be a dead dog.

Situation #1 - let the dog be, hope the deer survives.
Situation #2 - extermination is warranted.
Situation #3 - (see EDIT below)

EDIT - very hesitant about #3 as I'm not 100% sure what the law is pertaining to wild dogs and/or coydogs.

As to those dog owners that allow their pets to run free in a non-hunting scenario...
In the state of Illinois you are at risk of breaking the law -
IL DNR Conservation Code
Chapter 520 - Wildlife
Act 5 - Wildlife Code
Article II - Game Prtective Regulations

Permit dogs to pursue, harass or kill deer - listed as a Class B Misdemeanor.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:06 AM

Hey y'all,
In the area of SC where I hunt, there is a major problem with feral dogs which is why I always bring a sidearm with me while bowhunting. Although SC law prohibits the carrying of firearms during archery season, I have had too many bad experiences with wild dogs. Several times I have been chased by a pack of wild dogs while bowhunting. Each time (with the help of my S&W 686) I have been able to come out on top. Once when I was 16 my cousin and I had a pack of wild dogs come charging at us from down a logging road. At 50 yards I took a large brown one out but the remainder of the pack kept coming. My cousin took out 2 more as they closed the distance. The last one he shot as we retreated and the dog actually grabbed my now abondoned bow lying on the ground! So don't tell me these "domesticated animals" are harmless. Let me say that I have never shot a dog with a collar or anyone's hunting dog (as dog driving is legal in the low country of SC), but any wild dog is finished if I run into him. Oh, by the way, we don't have coyotes in this part of SC and I have seen numerous deer carcases (mostly fawns and young'uns) over the years which I have to assume were killed by these wild dogs. I have seen these dogs chase deer with the efficiency of any wolf pack. If they come by my stand, they're done.
Peace out
Old 12-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

I remember seeing this... It happened in High Ridge where I've hunted before. The guy who found it and brought it in was a bowhunter. That helped the image a bit too. Most people's idea about the whole thing after it died down was that it was a bowhunter who didn't want the dog spooking deer. That's kinda sad.

I also heard a STUPID newscaster talking about deer and deer accidents this time of year. The guy said that it was because hunters were in the woods and chasing the deer around!!? Like it has nothing to do with their horny pattern kicking in... I hate when something like that comes out and there's nobody there given the chance to give any other input! But isn't that the only way the media survives anyway?

Incidently, and back onto the dog topic, the place I gun-hunted this year was a cattle ranch. The owner told me that the unleashed dogs of the neighborhood had formed a wild pack and were killing calves and injured cows. He asked me to please shoot anything that resembled a dog! I would have gladly, in that case. It's causing damage his family's livelyhood.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:10 PM

1st time, if you dog seems lost, I'll let it slide.
2nd time, I'll shoot the dog with the sling shot I carry.
3rd time, Spike is not making it home.

I dont give a damn, if you let your dog run around repeatedly, You must not love it and it needs to be taken cared of.

Comparing dogs to kids is like comparing apples to oranges. Would you let your kids run around the slums all day long? If yes, your kids are probably the prostitues or drug dealers that the rest of us honest people are trying to get rid of.

Those people that lets their dogs run around all day couldn't give a damn if their dog's at the animal control, They dont care about their dog anyways. This is the reason the Humane society is always in need of donations or help.

For those dumb *******s that say we shouldn't shoot any dog, no matter how often we see them. Well let me send a whole pack of pitbulls over to your property and run around there all day. See how safe you'll feel or if you're fine with letting your kids play outside. Don't bother calling the cops, because when ever they come over the dogs will not be around.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's the difference between a dog and a coyote, you gonna try to shoot every coyote in the country because they following their instinct chasing a deer that is probably more theirs than ours? right. Don't forget pets sitll have animal instincts. I'm glad that dog is alright.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:55 AM

Buy yourself a pistol pellet gun....shoot that dog in the ass a few times and see if he keeps coming around. [8D]
Old 12-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same story, different day.

I especially appreciate the post by the guy whose time is so valuable ($150 per hour) that he's entitled to do as he sees fit...You have got to be kidding me, pal.

Read the opening post on this thread again. The damage you do if you get caught affects ALL of us, not just you and your hunt (or your oh so precious time).

I've posted on this topic every single time it comes up. I cannot imagine the cruelty and the arrogance shown on some of the posts on these threads.

Yes, our neighbors and friends make mistakes with their pets. That is true. We have an obligation to rise above it and show that hunters are just that...hunters...not killers.

That news story had a profound effect on everyone that viewed it. I will bet my house that the response by the bowhunter they interviewed had no effect whatsoever on many of the people that saw that story.

You see, many people (including even some gun hunters), think bowhunting is pretty cruel to begin with and then they see pictures of that domestic animal, someone's pet...now let them hear some of the idiotic responses on this thread...

Shoot a dog while hunting? A cat?

You shoot us all down in the process. It colors all of us.

People in general simply will NOT understand anything you say in defense of such an act.

If the problem is truly that bad, take the owner to court and sue him for your lost time and aggravation...but do not take the law into your own hands.

Quick Reply: local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.