Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

Old 11-12-2003, 09:17 AM

Default RE: local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

This might seem harsh to say, but if your a dog owner it' s YOUR responsibility to know what your dog does at all times whether in your sight or not. Sure your dog can' t read No Tresspassing signs, but who' s fault is it that he is out there roaming where ever he/she pleases? The owner. If you don' t want your dog to get shot, get sprayed by a skunk, get killed by a car, get killed by a coyote, get tangled in barbed wire and die, break it' s leg in a gopher hole, get rabbies, on and on...then keep it leashed up in your yard. Some of you say that your dog is like your very own kid and I can respect that because I love animals/pets myself, but then treat your dog like one and don' t let it roam. If you spent $1,000' s of dollars in training and time with your hunting dog, then tell me why you would take the chance of letting him/her run around with the possible chance of some of those examples actually happening?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:48 AM

I agree. Like I said earlier...
Again, I know it is my job to keep him out of the situation.
As a responsible dog owner, my dog does not roam unless I let him. The fact remains, I have trained him to hunt rabbits. If Peter Cottontail hops onto the neighbors property, I will run like heck to get the dog but on a trail he won' t listen to my calls. I worked hard for him to want the rabbit that bad. Just don' t kill him until I can get a hold of the collar. I would definitely apologize for messing up your hunt though.

My dog does not roam but if he got loose, I would hope the guys on the farm next door or across the street wouldn' t kill him before I realize he is loose and find him.

My point is simple, threaten whatever you need to just don' t shoot it like....a dog.

Greg
Old 11-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

GRYAN,
I agree completely--my gripe is with the dog that is repeatedly chasing DEER on MY property after talking to the owner.I have three dogs myself and would expect someone to do what they need to if they had told me about my dogs being where they shouldn' t be and i did nothing about it,but a dog hot on a deers heels is a problem and the owner should put a stop to it for the dogs' sake.Ultimately it would be great if the police would take it a little more serious also by fining the owner the first couple times--after that maybe that person shouldn' t be allowed to have any dogs if they refuse to control them.jmho.Not like they would ever tell someone what they can have for a pet but it would be nice.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:44 AM

I have a dog,well a mutt.He' s a good dog everyone seems to like him.When he was six months old I used to let him run the town alittle.Since I was working 12 hours a day 7 days a week.He would come home all wet and I would wonder where he was going for a swim.Well one day my next door neighbor comes over and says the guy next to him said my dog nipped alittle girl.My neighbor said that he didn' t believe it because his 2 year old daughter played with the dog all the time.From past experiences with the dog I know he would never bite anyone.He' s to friendly for that.After that I kept him on the chain just to keep the peace and to be a good neighbor.Well one day I get home from work and the dog is off the chain.I go looking for him and hear this ruckus from a couple houses down.I go over to see whats going on and heres my dog having the time of his life in the neighbors outdoor fish pond.I have to say I laughed pretty hard but got the dog back and appoligized for his misadventures.I think i know now about the story of him biting.He didn' t bite anyone just pissed them off about there fish.
Anyway to get back to the original thread.My dog will chase a deer for about 40 feet everytime he see' s one.It' s like seeing a squirrel to him just more exciting.I never have to call for him he comes back right away.If someone shot my dog It would be a bleak day for me BUT it would be real bad for the fool that shot him.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:28 PM

If I see a dog in the woods where I hunt I am going to shoot it.....I LOVE DOGS!!...but a dog will run a deer down until it can' t go anymore and then it will eat the deer.....)if the dog is lost and needs food...so any dog I see in the wood I am going to shoot....as of today I have shot 0 dogs!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:45 PM

I am deeply ashamed of people shooting dogs just because they don' t like something. A dog has just as much right to kill a deer as anyone or anything else. Thats nature. I love hunting just as much as anyone else, but if the dog is on your property, find the owner and press charges. I have dogs and if anyone else shot my dogs, I' d shoot them. What makes you any better than the dog. People need to give respect for all living animals. How would you feel if a dog attacked you just after you shot a deer?? Grow up people and realize that all animals have the right to hunt, that is what their instincts tell them to do. Just as we we' re trained to hunt. The next time someone thinks about shooting a dog, just think about someone shooting your kids.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:48 PM

ok some of people aren' t going to like what i say but oh well.
I beleive what the indians believe, no one owns land, land will be there long after we are gone. We use the land and thats it. We people say that they see a dog chasing a deer or roaming on " thier land" it should be shot. ANd your logic is because it ruined your hunt or chased your deer around etc... and the dog should be killed. Well screw that. If you use that logic on an different animal. An animal that has been so successful in hunting and gathering that it does not really need to do what all other animals have to do, hunt to surive. If you use that logic on that animal (the human) than why is it not okay to shoot a human who is walking in your woods, pushing your deer. Its the same logic. WE don;t kill humans because it is not right and its against the law. Listen if you see a dog on your property don' t kill it call the pound or police, let them take care of it. This is insane that one would fathom the idea of killing a domestic animal, that has a family somewhere. Kill to surive don;t kill to kill. When does traspassing= death
Old 11-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

HUNTM UP,
What does the word DOMESTIC mean to you?If you want to argue a point at least have the slightest idea about what you are talking about!Why do people have the right to post the land that they pay taxes on?Why do people buy land at all if everyone else is entitled to go on that land whenever the hell they feel like it?
Old 11-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy does that suck. I just don' t know how someone can do that.[:@]

But I asked for permission to hunt a farm where we get our hay for our horse and he said he let one person bowhunt and he ended up shooting there dog as the owners where out on a walk with there dog unleashed but on their property. How it that?[:@][:' (] About as sad as it gets.

That is very sorry to hear that.

Brian
Old 11-12-2003, 08:11 PM

Ya, its sad. If it was a neighbors dog, I would tell them to come get it. But if I saw a dog on my property and thought it was dangerous I wouldn' t hesitate to shoot it.
Dogs that kill deer, continue to do so (year round) until they are stopped, one way or another.

Quick Reply: local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.