Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All this fancy camo,But how ?????

Old 11-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default All this fancy camo,But how ?????

I think back when my wifes grandfather was alive how he would go out and hunt deer with no camo, no treestand, no blinds,with only his rifle or bow, wore out bluejeans and a flannel shirt, most of the times red and I just cant think of a time in the 15 years of our marraige until he passed this year that he did not go out and come back that morning with a deer.He never scouted before he would hunt no matter where he went but could walk out pick a spot and just set.He would get a deer everytime.
We would go to my wifes parents and me her father and brother would go out and look around several days in advance to pick out a good area and her grandfather would come in that night and laugh saying all you got to do is set and be quite you dont need all that fancy stuff.
By golly he was right.Many times he would tell me a good place to set and watch and of course I had no luck but always raised an ear when he spoke and took in everything he would try and teach us.
I never could understand how he could hunt the way he did but he had it down to an art.I hope one day to be as wise as he was when he died.He was 92 years young and still walk on his own to get to his hunting spot until he got sick last year and we for the last 3 years drug his deer in for him but it was worth it to see the joy that old man had when he told his story.
I guess with all the money we spend on tools, equipment and toys we really don' t need all of that but man it' s alot of fun.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:14 PM

Default RE: All this fancy camo,But how ?????

Amen bubba. I think it comes down to this: We' ve got things so darn good, we have forgotten it. And " it" is reality.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Chuck Adams hunted in the same attire for years.....................
Old 11-11-2003, 08:25 PM

im with u i do have camo cloths and stuff but if the weather permits it i go out in a pair of jeans and a thick shirt i dont think it really makes much of a difference what you wear what it comes down to is if u find a nice spot and can keep quiet for 3+ hours at a time you' ll get a deer.

2 bars 13 stars this land is ours REDNECK
Old 11-12-2003, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

A very good point. Sometimes we do get carried away with the gear we use and do not pay enough attention to more of the fundamentals of hunting.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

bubba your grandfather would have gotten along just fine with my uncle & cousin , they never used camo they did a little bit of scouting, but they hunted the same areas for so many years they just seemed to know where the deer would be. Heck they never hunted from a tree stand even, it was always from the ground, I learned how to hunt from them, I still have a lot to learn, last year was the first season I ever used camo, I will admit it helps with bow hunting, but when it comes to gun I still don' t think it matters.