Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To bait or not to bait?????

Old 11-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To bait or not to bait?????

Been hunting many many moons, always over bait (legal here in MI, but they are trying hard to get rid of that). I' ve taken many deer, but never a wall hanger - not likely to find a brute on the pile in shooting light I realize.

From reading many posts, I haven' t gathered if hunters out there are hunting over bait.

My question: Do you hunt over bait (where legal)? If it is legal and you don' t, what is your opinion of hunting over bait - am I a big-a#s sissy for hunting over bait? Will I have a better chance at a wall hanger if no bait were on the ground at all?

Also, has anyone ever used deer crack or mineral powder where you see the deer digging to China on the label? Does it work?

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To bait or not to bait?????

I have never hunted over bait because it is not legal in Va., but I will give you a personal observation, the bigger the buck the earlier he goes to bed and the later he leaves his bed, from what I have heard and read the same holds true for bait piles, the big ones if they eat from it do so long before or after legal shooting hours. Once the rut is on food is a low priority to all bucks, they have only one thing on their minds and it darn sure isn' t eating![]
Old 11-11-2003, 10:44 AM

There are lots of guys that are going to slam you over this and I am one of them. Personally I don' t like the idea of hunting over bait....

But...... who doesn' t use something artificial to gain an advantage over game animals??

The same could be said about using a MODERN compound bow versus a handmade longbow??

Artificial scents, electronic calls, decoys, rangefinders, gps, etc etc. if used, can give you an unfair advantage...

I say follow the LAW in your area and hunt according to YOUR OWN idea of what the definition of FAIR chase is.

PENNED hunting is about the only thing that REALLY ticks me off....
Old 11-11-2003, 10:57 AM

most hunters do hunt over bait.....they just dont carry in into the field. Setting up in the acorns, corn, ect.. is essentially using the food plot as " bait" (IMHO). If the property you hunt does not have alot of food sources, and you want to bring in food to attract more deer, go for it. I dont see the difference in doing that, or planting clover. Personally I dont bring in bait. The lands I hunt have ample food, and a bait pile probably wouldnt make much difference until after the crops are gone(late November).
Old 11-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is legal in WV, but not in VA. I never have hunted over bait, and wouldn' t do it. I don' t consider it hunting. Just my personal opinion. Personally I enjoy the challenge of scouting and setting up on their natural patterns.

If it' s legal where you hunt, and you want to do it...go for it. And you are probably right, I doubt many mature bucks visit bait during shooting hours.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put out food from January to May. I like to help the deer through the hard times. I have food plots that I do hunt near. Like everyone said, mature bucks aren' t going to bait piles during the day.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:58 AM

most hunters do hunt over bait.....they just dont carry in into the field. Setting up in the acorns, corn, ect.. is essentially using the food plot as " bait" (IMHO).
Sitter...I' m not sure how you think hunting over a field of corn, beans, alfalpha etc...can compare with having some type of pile of food foreign to the area that the deer like. Not even remotely the same. What would you rather hunt? A 1 to 100 acre field of whatever crop you want or hunting a pile of food that is 15 yards right in front you your stand?? I' d rather hunt the field than the food pile. IMHO...a bit more of a challenge. But hey...do what' s legal in your state.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:19 PM

I would rather (and do) hunt over/near natural food sources. But I have no problem with people putting out bait. Also, let me clarify the baiting rules here in MI. 2 gallons max on the ground at one time, spread over a minimum of 100 sq feet. We are not talking truck loads of feed here.

Also IMO baiting is a great way for young/inexperienced hunters to learn. Get them seeing deer, so they can learn how to read them. Plus if a new hunter is going to take his/her first shot at a deer, I would want the deer to be calm, still, and at or near a known yardage. Something a bait pile can provide.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:49 PM

This can of worms is always opened. You are not a sissy for hunting over bait if it is legal.

Lets face it, you are not going to pull the deer into the Walmart parking lot just because you put fifty pounds of corn near the shopping carts. You have to put your bait in a good deer travel pattern. Lets also face it, it does get the deer in and they definitely come for the chow. I only use it when I need to get the deer away from the houses. I feel kinda guilty but this can be the only way to get the deer 450 feet away from the shrubs and make them huntable.

Also, I certainly have no problem with any hunter doing what is legal. My buddy and close friend is from MI and he has told me that hunting over bait here is much different from MI in that a buck and particularly a large buck will not hit bait as easily as they do here in NJ - where baiting has only been legal for three or four years. Is that true as you see it? In the places that I bait, I pretty much bring in the same deer that I would have seen otherwise. It doesn' t pull Mr. Hatrack from the property down the road. So I guess if it is legal and you can rest your head on the pillow at night, do what works for you.

Greg