Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Temptation

Old 11-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Temptation

I suffered from a severe case of temptation yesterday afternoon but came through honorably. We just finished a week of muzzleloader and now it' s archery season until gun opens Nov. 22. Yesterday, I went to my observatory tree house that I built on the corner of my yard and a power line. My purpose was to watch the power line that I have several food plots on and to observe the deer crossings so that I might bow hunt a few afternoons in the right place. I wanted to have my best optics with me and thats my nikon scope on my 7mm mag. I also thought I might see a coyote crossing the power line and the 7mm will reach out and get him.
I was watching 4 deer that had just come out on the power line about 400 yards from my tree house. I was trying to determine bucks and does, light was fading, when all the deer I was looking at, alerted and looked back toward me. I then noticed the biggest buck I' ve ever seen in the woods step out about 100 yards from me. This is tennesse and we don' t get alot of record book deer but this is a record book deer and I' ve never seen him or his tracks before. One more thing, I' m looking at him through my nikon attached to my 7mm mag. I didn' t have a round chambered but it would have been easy to chamber a round, flip the saftey off and illegaly harvest this deer. I have to admit the thought entered my mind but I thought, if I kill this deer, I' ll be living a lie and I' m too old for that. What I did was open the bolt to make sure a round wasn' t in the barrel, then I clicked off the saftey and while that buck walked slowly across the power line, I dry fired about 4 times just for the heck of it. I aimed at his lungs once, his neck once, his heart and the last click I tried to hold it right on that shoulder. I think all would have been kill shots.
I know I did what all of you guys would have done and this afternoon I' m going to do what all of you guys would do and that' s be in a tree with my bow in the area where he came out of the woods.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Temptation

next time....bring a video camera with you. At least you could take that with you. Hopefully you have the same thing happen on the 22nd, but you can squeeze off a round. Good luck to you.

J
Old 11-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good job rockytop, I know the temptation you went through, I have been through it more than once, big buck in a wide open field while driving in with the gunb in the car, deer within 15 foot while bow hunting but it was after legal shooting hours, I will be honest and say I was tempted because no one would have ever known what time I shot it, except me!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmm don' t understand the temptation aspect. Is jack-lighting deer a tempatation for you also? An illeagle harvest is poaching, period. The thought should not even have entered your mind. Admire him and wish for different circumstances sure, but honestly I question your taking a 7mm scouting anyway.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bad, I guess I see where you got your name. No, my mind is not pure but my actions are. I' m not ashamed to admit to temptation, I' m the first to admit my mind might wonder from the straight and narrow but again, my actions don' t. As for caring the gun, I took it for the reasons stated, my best optics and we' re over run with coyotes and wild dogs. Two years ago I was attacked by 4 wild dogs about 30 yards from where I was sitting and I thankfully I had my 7mm mag then. Also, if I was ashamed of what I was doing, I wouldn' t have broadcast it on this thread among people that I respect very much.
Taz, thanks. Temptation is what makes us better people as long as we do right.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I am glad to see that you did not do anything illegal though it might be a better idea to take something else to scope out your area next time. In my neck of the woods the game warden would have given me one heck of a difficult time had he found me out in the woods with a rifle when it was not rifle season.

How about a pair of Nikon binos for Christmas?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

delete. answerrred wrong post, I' ll let this one alone.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA, I' d love a new pair of nikon binoculars, would you like my home address?

As far as the game warden goes, this treehouse I was in, I call it the Hilton, is in the corner of my 6 acre yard and it allows my to see over 700 yards down a power line. I don' t bowhunt out of it. It' s an observatory. I guess technically I' m in the wrong, but, have you ever been attacked by wild dogs. I bushhog the power line cause tva only cuts it about once every 8 years and I don' t even bushhog it with out a pistol strapped on. I ain' t scared, just safe. With a busted up back, and a replacement knee, I don' t run very well.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Which model would you like? The 8x32s or 10x40s??

I understand our concern and totally sympathize with your situation. On a related note, I picked up some decent qualities binos from the sportsmans guide at a very, very agreeable price. You may want to check them out as you might find something affordable that meets your needs.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your just going to use it in the Hilton get a spotting scope. They have them reasonably prieced in cabella' s.