Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game finders. Do they work?

Old 11-10-2003, 10:32 AM

Default Game finders. Do they work?

Has anyone used any of the heat sensing divices for locasting downed game? What are your thoughts and experiences? thanks Bob
Old 11-10-2003, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Game finders. Do they work?

There was a thread here once on things you bought that were useless or something to that affect. One of the guys said he had one of those and it wouldn' t pick up anything at all. They are also illegal in some states so check that out too.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:40 AM

Waste of Money.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Pro Jr. heat seeker. It' s worthless as a tracking tool. It' s too sensitve. Even in really cold weather, well after dark, it' ll pick up heat stored in the trees, or heat from the swamp. Keep in mind, you wouldn' t expect heat to be in 26 degree trees or swamps, but it does pick it up. So finding game with them is not possible. Maybe if the deer were piled up in an open field with no other animals in it running around, but not in the woods. They have two models up from the Jr. which can be adjusted for sensitivity and supposedly the $300 model automatically adjusts for false readings. I wouldn' t spend the 300 bones to see if it works though after my experience with the Jr. (which was only $100). To give you a perspective of how sensitive it is, if you point it at the dirt you get no reading. If you scrape the dirt with your boot a few times, it picks up the very little heat left by friction. Worthless in a woods where there are small or large critters everywhere and trees that hold heat after the sun goes down.