Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Took a decent 8 pt and a coyote

Old 11-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Took a decent 8 pt and a coyote

This past weekend was Mn rifle season opener. I opted for my bow as usual, and went to one of my favorite rut stands. Had 4 other hunters on my 380 acres gun hunting also. About 7:15, had 2 deer come flying by me on full run. Figured a buck was chasing or coyote was coming. Got the bow ready and saw a coyoye bout 40 yds out. to far for me, but then something caught my eye on my side and here 15 yds away was coyote #2 just standing there. Drew, stuck him in the vitals,went maybe 10 yds and dropped. Thought great, the smell will keep the deer away, so got down and pulled him about 100 yds from stand before climbing back up. wasn' t in stand 10 minutes, when a nice 8 pt wandered past and went to the scent I laid down. Nice broadside shot with head down. Muzzied him with a pass thru and fell with in 30 yds. it was -17 degrees here that morning, so was happy to get a deer so quick and get back to the shack. Still have 2 more doe tags to fill...It' s been a great bowseason for me. Happy Hunting! steve
Old 11-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Took a decent 8 pt and a coyote

Now that is as close to a perfect morning as you can have, congrats on the deer and the yote!
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Took a decent 8 pt and a coyote

I did the same thing on 11-5 here in Missouri. I seen a coyote chase one deer about 100 yards away. Latter three coyotes passed buy, and I nearly called one in with a mouse squeak within bow range. Latter, a fifth coyote made the mistake of coming in too close and I nailed him. About half hour latter, a nice 8 pointer came by and I took him as well. The temps were in the 40s. I took a nice picture with the buck in the laying position and the coyote between the buck' s legs. If it comes out, I will try to post it.