Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sunday Hunting in PA ??

Old 11-10-2003, 08:07 AM

Default Sunday Hunting in PA ??

As one of the unfortunate few who have to work for a living outside of home for five days a week, the Sunday no-hunting laws in PA are finally starting to get to me. You’d think that after 45 years (33 of them hunting), I’d get used to it. Problem is the older I get, the more responsibilities accumulate, and the more of a bummer not having Sundays becomes.
Basically, the government is taking away 50 % of my free time.
Normally, I’d say that there is nothing we can do.
However, we recently passed antler point restrictions (which I once thought was impossible). We also have a 6 week bow season (once unimaginable)…
Maybe there is something we can do..
What does everyone in PA (or CT or other such states) think about this, or are you just used to it by now.
For me, I’d rather be out hunting on Sunday mornings than watching the Outdoor channel.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sunday Hunting in PA ??

I guess i' m old school. I also have a job that prevents me from getting out during the week. I hunt both Ohio and Pa. And even though Ohio is now legal to hunt Sundays. I don' t do it. Why?? hmm I dunno, the law has just been changed in recent years, but I was brought up NOT hunting on Sundays. I guess I like the idea of the critters having a day to just be critters. I imagine if it was always legal it wouldn' t make a difference.
A second reason is I like to ride my 4 wheeler up at camp. We have some nice trails and permission to ride them, but if guys were in the woods hunting i' d hate to come riding through. So it works out well, Hunt Saturday and ride the quad on Sunday.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tradition is no reason to keep ahold of an archaic blue law! The animals get to rest or be themselves every day of the year....hunting season is part of life for them just as it is for us. It should be legal to hunt on Sundays or illegal to play football, race cars, go fishing, etc. There is no differeence in these activities.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:12 AM

Count me in for Sunday too guys. PA is in the dark ages as far as that is concerned. There are a lot of us weekend warriors out there. Not by choice, that' s for sure. Responsibilities have to take priority. Speaking of weekend warriors, have you noticed that particular term has a bad connotation associated with it. As if just because I can only go on Saturday for the most part that somehow translates into me being somewhat of a lesser hunter. If anything...it makes me put more emphasis on my precious time afield and hunt harder.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim, I agree that the term ' weekend warrior' does sound derogotory and demeaning. I' m fortunate enought to have a couple weeks of vacation every year and get out of work at 3:30 with good hunting within a half hour of home. I do hunt most evenings and I often stay out of the woods on Saturday just becasue of the crowds.....I would likely hunt more weekends if I had more of the weekend to hunt. I think people see weekend warriors as " lesser hunters" because they don' t have as much experience....due to other obligations in most cases. But, you gotta hunt when you can and there is not one good reason that hunting on Sunday shouldn' t be leagal.....like in your case and in the case of countless others it would increase you' re hunting opportunities twofold. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:48 AM

I am all for Sunday hunting. I myself work M - F as well. It would give me that extra day to be in the woods.

They are pushing herd reduction down our throats. How difficult is it to see that Sunday hunting would help thin the deer herd. Would not only give us a few extra days to hunt but would give us more oppurtunities! And isn' t that what Alt said, he wanted to give us more oppurtunities.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:52 AM

I' m with Alt on the deer management thing. He knows a heck of a lot more about deer than I will ever know. I am already seeing the results of the antler restrictions. I have seen more nice bucks this year than in the past. It should only get better from here on out.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

We just discussed this on the Northeast forum and everyone agreed. Give us Sunday hunting.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-10-2003, 10:56 AM

Hey Barnes...Start the petition writing campaign
Old 11-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

I' m not from PA but we have not been allowed to hunt on Sundays here in MD up until this year we got 2 sundays... 1 bow and 1 Shotgun... I am All for hunting on Sundays... Not to sure if the GF will be real happy about it, but I know I will... If anyone knows where to vote or who to write to about this... Be sure to Post it...

Quick Reply: Sunday Hunting in PA ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.