Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If deer can see UV explain this, almost touched one.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default If deer can see UV explain this, almost touched one.

I' ve been washing my clothes in unscented laundry detergent with the dreaded fabric brighteners for years. During that time I' ve had numerous deer come by in the morning and not spook, but yesterday takes the cake. Sunday morning I was hunting off the ground on a field edge. My back is bad so it' s hard to climb trees. No ground blind or anything. At 5:50 am I see something out in the field and it starts coming my way and coming and coming. It ends up being a six point that ends up about 4 feet from me. Never spooked stood around me for about ten minutes and just walks off.I had the urge to try and touch it.As it was just getting light a small doe walked about ten yards from me into the bedding area. According to the makers of UV killer I should have stood out like one of those lighted signs along the highways.

I' m not trying to start an argument about UV killer, but after the buck walked of I said to myself " Guess his UV sensors weren' t working this morning."

What a rush the last couple days have been Saturday evening my son and I had one of the biggest 6 pts I' ve ever seen at 15 yards ,couldn' t get a good shot. Sunday I saw three different bucks and ten does. All hunting off the ground without a ground blind just using natural cover.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: If deer can see UV explain this, almost touched one.

Charlie I also hunt from the ground using natural cover, quite a rush huh?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Though I try not to get too much into any of the " arguments" for or against any bowhunting gear I do tend to try everything at least once and use those products that I feel cannot " hurt" my chances of taking game. I have used the UV killer product on several occasions with no noticeable change in the way that game perceived me. Do I think it works? Probably to some extent though it may not be as important as the company would like you to think.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

It' s the biggest rush I' ve had in years. Saturday was great because I had my son with me which added to the excitement.

This 6 pt has about 10" G2' s and has to weigh over 200 pounds on the hoof .Saw him again last night at about 150 yards,he' s not chasing does that much yet. The wind will be right again so I know where I' ll be.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

All we know about deer sight is what we hypothesise from the amount and type of rods and cones in their eyes.
Nobody has proven that deer can see in the UV band. I think the hunting manufacturers are capitalizing on our desire to see more deer so they sell products like.

Seems to me that you just proved (in at least 2 instances) that either deer cannot see in UV, deer are not bothered by things they see in UV, or your clothes and person are not emitting UV.

Either way, keep doing what you' re doing. Sounds like its working out for you!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:45 PM

I agree with Hazcon7. Keep doing what works.

I will say though. If it was prior to good daylight, there wouldn' t have been enough UV light to actually make a difference. The UV perception or misconception, whichever it maybe, would only be present during daylight hours. This is just an opinion. No scientific evidence here.

I think that the good Lord put us here and he put deer here and we are allowed to partake in the harvesting of some of His blessings at times. We should accept it and go on about His business.

And I agree with Hazcon7 on the point that no one has ever proven what a deer actually sees. How can they?
Old 11-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

This 6 pt has about 10' G2' s and has to weigh over 200 pounds on the hoof .
Ten foot G' 2' s[] Must be tough ducking under all the trees!
Old 11-11-2003, 06:35 AM

whoa 10ft tines, the rack must weigh 200lbs then, got any pics? j/p
Old 11-11-2003, 07:05 AM

I don' t know if they can detect UV or not but under my experiences I would say that they do not or they don' t care.
The first time I went hunting (rifle) I didn' t have a doe tag. I was standing behind a maple tree with numerous small trunks. Four doe approached me and got so close I was afraid to even breathe. The lead doe came right up and sniffed the end of my gun barrel! Even then they just walked away as though I wasn' t there. I was dressed in sweats with a jacket that I duck taped orange to. I had no hunting clothes...
Since then the only camo I have are pants and sweatshirt. For orange I have a coat or vest with various hats for varyng weather. I have worn blue jeans and many different colored shirts. I don' t have the money to buy a different wardrobe for different temperatures and seasons.
Besides hunting I spend a lot of time taking photos of wildlife. Many deer come up to me or walk right by me without a second glance. I have learned to be like a statue. The second I move my camera (or gun/bow) that' s when the deer will spook. Being still is the most important thing. Of course the wind matters too....
Here' s a buck that came up to me last summer:

Old 11-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jen experience has taught me that movement is what spooks deer, not your shape or the colors you are wearing. The colors and your shape will draw a deers attention to you though, the movement is what spooks them, but then again with low enough light conditions I have been with in 15 foot of deer and actually been able to move slowly and not have them spook even with them looking right at me. Now if they catch wind of you the game is over, they are gone, even if they don' t see you.

Quick Reply: If deer can see UV explain this, almost touched one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.