Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Calls

Old 11-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Calls

Can anyone offer good tips on using deer calls, aside from the obvious?
I' ve used every call I can think of and have very little success. I see a lot of deer but I' ve only been able to call in 2. I' ve used " The Can" which would seem foolproof but nonetheless they do not respond.

Recently I downloaded some deer sounds off the internet, burned them onto a CD, and played them on a portable CD player through amplified speakers at a reasonable volume. Still no luck. I had a large buck run in the other direction when I played a contact call.

Any pointers?
Old 11-09-2003, 06:50 PM

Default RE: Deer Calls

make for sure you use the right sounds for the right hunting areas and hunting pressures for instenance dont call to much but still try to keep them curious and wanting to come check it out another thing as its probbly pre rut in you area as it is in all of the usa try light rattleing and then some grunting when rattling act realistic kick break limbs make it sound like something IS FIGHTING not just playin you want the deer to sound like they are flat out wanting a doe i rattled up one this mornign but never saw him but i heard him grunting i was probly rattling to much but you just have to try different things for your arear and your conditions[X(] thats a long breath
Old 11-10-2003, 09:20 AM

I recently called in my first buck using a grunt call. The morning started out with a doe running along the fenceline I was hunting. Soon after, I heard two short grunts, and a six pointer was chasing her. He made a few more similar grunts. I passed him up. About a half hour later, I saw no deer so decided to immitate his " tending grunt" . I did this by making 4 or 5 short grunts pretty close together with my True Talker. Within seconds, I heard something make a b-line for my tree from behind. It was nice eight pointer, and I shot him.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do not blind call to often once every 15-20 minutes is about the max, and never once you see a deer call again unless the deer is moving away from you, the second they start moving in a direction you want, stop calling.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:40 AM

If your area is anything like mine calling can be pretty much useless because of the buck to doe ratio. We have so many does here compared to bucks I think the calling is ineffective because there is not much competiton for bucks to breed does, versus and area to where the buck to doe ratio is closer to 1 where calling can be very effective.