Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New bowhunter question

Old 11-07-2003, 08:52 PM

Default New bowhunter question

I have hunted with a rifle for years, but this year I started bowhunting. My question is for advice on getting up to take a shot. I am currently hunting out of ladder stands and have deer within 10-30 yds just about everyday but I get scared to death to stand up for fear the deer may see me move. I always feel like the deer are looking right at me which means I have nearly filled up my video tape but have nothing in the freezer. Am i just being paranoid or what?
Old 11-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New bowhunter question

I would say you are just being cautious. You need to try to stand up and get comfortable with it. If you don' t what are you going to do when you get a shot at a deer you want to take?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

You have to get up to shoot most of the time. Move slow.................when a deer looks in your direction they aren' t always looking at you, it just seems that way.

Move slow.......
Old 11-08-2003, 06:36 AM
nub

Stand up before they get too close to ya. Or shoot sitting down.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Spike

Agreed with nub. I stand up very slowly and get my bow in a shooting position the moment I hear something that might be a deer even if it turns out to be just a couple of squirrels chasing one an other. Or there are a few areas I can shoot from a sitting position if I’m taken by surprise.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Spike

I never stand to shoot. I set up so that I can shoot my lanes from sitting position. Make sure to practice shooting sitting down though.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:22 PM

I don' t want to sound silly but I had (and sometimes still have) the same problem. What I learned was that if deer were coming to the same spot everyday, they generally come about the same time. Given the fact that I am just like you and I worry about deer seeing me and I am just clumsey, I stand up about 20-30 minutes before I think they will start coming. Granted that has cost me a shot a time or two because they come a little early and I get nervous. I think one time I stood up to fast and I got light headed.

Good Hunting.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:45 PM

I stand up as soon as I see a deer...If it is 100 yards or 15 yards...as soon as I see it I stand up....
Old 11-08-2003, 06:40 PM

IMAO I think you bowhunters are more accurate when they are standing up. I know I am everytime I have shot at sitting down I have missed. I try to stand as much as possible. I started turning my stands the opposite way I expect deer to come. I can lean up against the tree and shoot from both sides. I think it breaks up my outline with the tree being between me and the deer.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:44 PM
New Sheriff

I rarely stand to shoot unless I have to. When I stand up, I will stay standing up for hours. I always stand up the last two hours of daylight.