Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP

Old 11-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default HELP

Hey guys, Well I shot my first buck tonight w/ my bow. I was using my Hoyt Macnatec w/ a single redline cam set up at 60lbs and pse carbon arrows with 100 grain rocket arrows. Tonight I shot a nice 6 point buck right before it got dark in this overgrown rose bush section of woods on the neighbors property. The shot was about 25 yards, and I hit him high. Pretty high under the spine no less, but probably 3/4 of the way up but it was on horizontally placed well. After the shot I saw the arrow still stickin in the deer. I have no idea the amount of penetration that I got, but I am just praying the the Rocket opened up. The deer took off like a speeding rocket away from me, like he was hit my lightening. I went to the spot where he was hit and found nothing, and then I proceeded for about another 25 yards and then I gave up for the night because it was way too easy to get turned around at night being surrounded by rose bushes. I am going back at first light tomorrow morning, but what do you guys think of me finding this deer. I have said my fair share of prayers. The shot made a solid thump, there was no crack like wood indicating I hit bone, but I hit him pretty far up, and the arrow never penetrated fully through the deer. I am going to do everything in my power to find him, but what do you think?? Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help u can give.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HELP

If you are hunting out of a tree stand. Hitting 3/4 of the way up and good horizonally means you put a good shot on him. If everything is true to what you say you should have no problem recovering the deer. Good luck
Old 11-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

I was in my climber about 14 feet up. I was just soo worried on how high the arrow was on him. Horizontally it was good but vertically I don' t know what happened. It all happens soo fast. Unlike deer hunting w/ my .35 whelen when you hit them they are down for the count. Do you know why though my arrow didn' t make it through the deer?
Old 11-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its hard to say. 60# is enough for a pass threw but it dosen' t always happen. You didnt mention the angle of the deer when you shot. If it was quatering away that is alot more the arrow has to travel through to get a passthrough.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

The buck was at a slow walk at around 25 yards completely broad side. I whistled at him and it stopped him dead in his tracks. He turned over his shoulder and I lifted him up w/ the Hoyt. So thats why I was concerned that the Rocket didnt' open up.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:18 PM

Kyle3

I say you probably got one lung maybe 2. The deer bolted out of their fast sounds like a lethal shot to me. As far as penetration, what' s your KE? I would need more info like arrow weight and speed(fps) have you chronoed the bow? You may want to look at going with Muzzy 100 for better penetration with your setup. Good luck finding your deer. Get out their at first light and look hard! Hope the coyotes are' nt bad there like they are here!
Old 11-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I would' nt worry about the rockets I have never had one fail and not open.If you get into the light I bet you find him tomorrow the rockets are awsome and really do some impressive damage.
I would bet if your shot was good with no passthru he bled to the inside and won' t be too far.Good luck in the morning and don' t give up.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

tnichols is right, you may want to look into a fixed broadhead for next year if you KE isn' t up to par. Good luck I hope we get a happy ending to this one.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry I don' t have a clue what kind of feet per second it is shotting, it is definitly one of my priorities in the future. It is very difficult juggling college classes, work and hunting. My Hoyt has a 29' ' draw length, set at 60lbs w/ pse dominator 300 carbon arrows that are 29 inches long with Rocket mechanical 100 grain broadheads.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well just guessing here. I am guessing your arrows and broadheads to weight 410 grains and you bow to shoot 245-250fps. This would put your KE at 55-57 pounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.