Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a difference a day makes

Old 11-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What a difference a day makes

Since today (Friday) was the day that the weather was supposed to change, I decided it was the day to begin spending the entire day in my stand--just a few minutes shy of 12 hours. With my buck tag open, I was looking for a bruiser. I didn' t have long to wait . . .

At 7:20am I saw a buck rubbing a tree about 70 yards away. He was working his way towards me and I finally got a look at his rack. Real nice mature 8 point--the kind I was looking for, but he stayed just out of range and disappeared in the thick stuff totally ignoring my calls. About 2 minutes later, I heard a few loud cracking sounds and he came running back towards me with his tail tucked. Then I saw why--a monster was chasing him! They circled each other with their ears laid back and the bigger buck did a snort-wheeze. It was obvious who was in charge here and they slowly wandered off their separate ways. A few minutes later, another buck nearly as big as the smaller 8 showed up, but after seeing the other two, I wasn' t willing to use my tag just yet. After he left I got out my rattle bag (even though it was warmer than I' d like) and did some rattling, grunting and a bleat hoping to bring in the big guy. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

He came looking with the hair on his back bristled and his massive head swinging back and forth looking for the intruders. I drew once and had to let down because he started raking some brush. He then started my way again and I drew because I' d have no other chance without being seen. Now headed my way he stopped about 20 yards out facing me straight on--NO SHOT! I waited at full draw while he was looking one way then the other, licking his nose and then he started making a scrape all the while facing me. I can honestly tell you that I was at full draw for over two minutes, but it was worth it for this monster. He was a good 3" + ouside of each ear meaning at least a 22" spread with what looked to be 12" G2' s and 9" G3' s. Great mass too--everything you would want and I guesstimate him to be a mid 140 class buck. But I digress . . .

He FINALLY turned, but was now behind brush, but walking toward an opening at under 20 yards. I slowly moved the pin with him and saw my opening and hit the release--completely confident that he would be mine. CRACK! I hit a branch about 10 feet away from my bow that I didn' t notice due to the " tunnel vision" I had through my peep sight and sight itself. But he only jumped a few yards and stopped, looking for the source of the noise--I was frantically trying to remove another arrow from my quiver. I got it on the string and was attaching my release to my string loop as he entered my 30 yard shooting lane. I reached full draw as he exited my 30 yard shooting lane. But the fun still wasn' t over!

Less than an hour later, from the same direction as the first buck, a buck showed up that was EVEN BIGGER than the one I just missed!!! He was headed my way when the unthinkable happened and my arrow simply fell off my bow and landed head first in the ground! I grabbed my only remaining arrow, but he never offered me a shot.

I also had dinks nearby and two does bedded about 35 yards away--I ate my lunch while they chewed their cud! Most of the action was over by noon, but I stayed from dark to dark. I' m going to a different place tomorrow for another all day sit, but Monday I' ll be back at the same location, but with a tree a little closer to the action. And the weather is going to be great!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What a difference a day makes

Great story Dave, thats what it' s all about, matters not that you score or not just the pure excitement of up close and personal. I' m sure you will connect before it' s all over. Started my vac today and head down at 3 in the morning.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:26 PM

Default RE: What a difference a day makes

Wow, you had quite a day. I only saw about 7 bucks, with 3 being shooters. Unfortunately, all shooters were with does, and we all know how that is. None of the shooters approached what you saw, but were respectable.

peashooter