Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has this ever happened to you?

Old 11-07-2003, 05:12 PM

Default Has this ever happened to you?

I' m sitting on a milk crate in a ravine on a hillside. I have a great view of a stand of apple trees below me and the bottom edge of a field to the right side. I hear something behind me. I slowly turn my head to the left and I can see a small doe coming down the path towards me. I turn my head back and become a statue. I close my eyes and peek now and then. She nibbles on a sapling and rubs her head on it. She paws the ground and then starts down the hill. At this point she is maybe two yards from me. When she gets behind the one tree I quickly pick the bow up and get into position. She comes out and trots down the embankment and stops at 5 yards, looking towards the apple trees. This is my chance...I draw back the bow and line up the pin. I am ready to shoot. THE ARROW FALLS OFF THE STRING TO THE GROUND!!![] The doe slowly walks away so I bend and pick up the arrow and get ready again. The doe stops to nibble and I wait for her to turn and give me the shot. She turns and again I draw back and aim. Again the arrow falls off!!!! What the he!!! I leave that arrow and pull another from the quiver. By the time I get ready again the doe is too far away. I could scream!!!!
So I get back to the house at dark and show this to the hubby. As I draw back I watch the nock. When I am at full draw the nock just falls off the string. Only on this particular arrow - the others are fine. Is this a defective nock?
I am so frustrated.... and to imagine how I would feel if that had been a buck....[:' (]
Old 11-07-2003, 05:19 PM

Default RE: Has this ever happened to you?

I assume that you practice. Do your arrows fall off the string when you practice? If you are using a release, you may need to go to the shop and have a bow technician adjust your knock point to fix the problem.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:47 PM

I just got a bunch of new arrows the other day - samebrand, size and all except that I got different colored vanes. I guess I should have practiced with them first. I was just assuming they were going to work just like the others. I guess it wouldn' t hurt to have that nock point checked out also...... Thanks for the help...there' s still so much to learn........
Old 11-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I don' t know what kind of broadheads you shoot but I had an similar problem back years ago.I thought you could put on matching field tips and practice.Then when season came you put on the broadheads and hunt[X(] wrong on my part.
I went to pull my bow back on what possibly could have been my first bow kill when my arrow poped off just before full draw similar to your problem. My problem was my broadheads were catching on my riser and pulling off the string. I also put the arrow on and tried it three more times before finding the problem.
The problem was my arrow rest had gotten bumped in towards the riser and as I drew my bow back my broadhead (Muzzy)would catch the riser and pull it off the string.You might check to see if that could be your problem.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Dominant Buck

It probably has a crack in it so that the jaws don' t hold the string. If you' re using a release it can also push the arrow off the rest on let down. With a Muzzy zero effect rest and a string loop these things don' t happen.[:-] Ok.. they could with a bad nock. I know it' s frustrating as all get out, but think on the bright side. If you had released it and it has a crack it could have exploded and hurt you or sent the arrow off in some wild a$$ direction or wounded the deer. Dragging this equipment through the brambles day after day, hauling it up and down from trees and things can take it' s toll. I' m particularly tough on fiber optic pins in cold weather. Now there' s a bummer. I drew back on a buck in NY a couple years ago, went to put my 20 yard pin on him and it was gone. I just centered the hole that was suppose to hold the fiber optic thread and drilled him, but it was a nervous moment.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:19 PM

Well, the arrow rest and riser are fine. The nock is not cracked. If you look at one nock next to the other it looks like there is a haris width difference in the opening. Must be just enough that when I draw back it just works its way off the string..... That arrow is now retired until a new nock can be put on. I think that a string loop would definitely help.....
Old 11-09-2003, 11:56 PM

It has never happened to me. I did see some poor guy at the archery range drop his arrow at full draw. He let down and clipped the nock back onto the string....drew back to full draw and released....unknown to him, the arrow had fallen out again....he had a dry fire. At that time, I had my head down adjusting my arrow rest....I didn' t see his dry fire, only heard it...it wasn' t pretty....when I looked up....his arrow was fallen onto his toes. After that incident, he quickly packed up and left....I guess he was embarrassed.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:23 AM

It may just be that your nock is too loose. Try biting the two tips together, that may solve your problem.