Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice

Old 11-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need advice

Ok,
Shot a 8 point right under my stand today about 8 this morning. I don' t know how but I shot the deer on top of his back in the rear. And the joker walked away, he was favoring the back leg abit. The arrow is lodged in their though. I don' t think that thing is coming out. There was no blood where I shot him but I saw where was headed and I found one puddle. I musted have pulled the shot bad. Do you think this deer can live through this? He seemed fine.
thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Need advice

i am not really sure. probably not. if the arrow is still in the deer, the chances of the wound healing are very slim. the arrow is going to continue to open the wound. infection will probably occur. if the deer does not die from the wound he will probably go lame and die by natural selection. aka coyotes.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:32 PM

I do not see any details of the tracking Job you did???

how was the blood - how far did you have a blood trail?

Did you track him??

He seemed fine
Do you think????

Old 11-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very rarely will there be a blood trail right from the point of where the deer was shot. I shot a deer in the same spot one year - caught up to him and had to finish him off. Chances are this deer you shot will die. Like Rack asked - how long did you track him? Did you bump him? What was the blood like (color, how much, how far you had blood, etc...)? Sounds like more than a few hour track to me. Possibly a few day track. If he took off with an arrow in him, he' s not fine. I suggest go finding him.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:54 PM

Jeeesus H Christ!!!!!! This stuff is getting real bad! [:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 11-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

I went over about 50 yards found some blood then it stopped. I waited about two hours.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeeesus H Christ!!!!!! This stuff is getting real bad!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to be a jerk about this, but I' m going to anyway.

50 FREAKING YARDS??????!!?!!!!!???? THEN YOU STOPPED TRACKING????

I' m not Mr. Fred Bear or bow hunting expert by any stretch and have had my share of bad shots (the name is misleading, it' s a joke, trust me), but after 24 years of hunting have learned a thing or two. One thing I learned? Track the deer you just shot. Learn how to track with no blood. Learn how be more tenacious when it comes to your sport. Our sport. Please, get your butt back out there and find the animal. Go further than 50 yards. Remember, he' s bleeding out the top of his back. The blood has to go up and out of a wound, then run down the deer' s body and eventually land on the ground. This blood trail is going to be sparse. There may not be any blood for 50 or more yards apart from last blood. BUT, there' s going to be blood and eventually a dead deer or one that you can put out of his misery. The pool of blood you found is the pool where he stopped to gather his composure. He may have been only another 50 yards away still alive when you found this pool and never moved because you didn' t go further. Or maybe even laying there piled up.

Ok. I' m done. Whew. Sorry.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

dont bash me I said the blood stopped at 50 yards
thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Will be out tracking tomorrow. thanks for the advice guys.

Quick Reply: Need advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.