Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice

Old 11-07-2003, 04:29 PM

Default RE: Need advice

you got to go back, listen to these guys they can help, i shot a buck over a week ago and they almost talked me to it. the best piece of information i got was.. don' t look for the deer but look for the sign that he left, force yourself to find it, it will be there. i was on my hands and knees in the pouring rain following the sign, i eventually recovered the deer..... a fine 8 point.
try to contact the jerseyhunter
Old 11-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

How far did the arrow penetrate?
Old 11-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am not really sure. probably not. if the arrow is still in the deer, the chances of the wound healing are very slim.
I once had a deer run under my stand that someone shot. The arrow went in from the top of theBack (front shoulder) and lodged inside the upper leg. The two guys who shot it couldn' t find it and I tracked it for 100 yds before the blood ran out. Oh how did I know where the arrow lodged? I shot this deer during shotgun season 2 months later. During a deer drive and the animal seemed fine > I did not know it was the same deer till I butchered it. So there is always a chance he' ll live.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:20 PM

Shot it at 8:00 AM. Then in some manner, 2 more hours passed. That is 10:00 AM.

Now you will wait until sometime the next day?? To do what? Track it for another 50 yards?

O' Mama Mia!
Old 11-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

superrman, sorry I got in your face. I' m quite passionate about bow hunting and know what it' s like to not find a deer. There are many hunters out here with good advice - read through the main post about after the shot, there' s lot' s of good stuff there. You' ve got to think like a deer. Find the trails he more than likely took while running away. Deer will usually head for the thick stuff or water, but in most cases when not lethally shot, will take a path of least resistance - a deer trail to the thick stuff. Look for kicked up leaves where he ran. Look for busted branches or logs he may have stumbled over where he ran. If the arrow wasn' t in very far, it' ll more than likely come out when it gets scraped along some low hanging branches in dense cover. Like I said before, the blood trail on this one will be sparse. You may find only a tiny spot of blood every 50 yards or so, so it' s important to figure out which way he ran and assume that trail until you do find more blood. Anyway, sorry again I got so harsh. Good luck and keep looking. I haven' t been out here on this site long, but it seems that guys out here are more than willing to help with advice.