Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

got one!

Old 11-07-2003, 11:11 AM

Default got one!

I shot a doe this morning. Could just taste the backstraps while i had the pin on her. Anyways at 28 yards i put the pin on her vitals and released. The arrow hit her a little back but not bad (still caught vitals) perfect up and down. Funny thing though. She just jumped about two feet and started walking off. At first i thought maybe my eyes had decieved me. I started getting pissed thinking I had just wounded her somewhere. With her back turned to me i had no view of entry or exit. She walked off 15 yards and just laid down. Died 10 minutes later. I have only hunted with a bow for two years and have taken 2 does and 1 buck but have never had them just walk off. Why did she act like she wasn' t even hit.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:15 AM

Default RE: got one!

Why did she act like she wasn' t even hit.
You' re broad heads were probably sharp enough that she didn' t even know she was hit. She probably jumped at the sound of your bow and then started walking off.

Congrats!!!!!! On the kill and the fact that it doesn' t get any more humane than that. You DA MAN!!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

YOU DA MAN is going to have to change your handle to KSdoe.[:-] So, where was she hit really. Was it lung or liver. I' ve always maintained that a deer at 30 yards is less likely to jump the string than a deer at 20. It' s just far enough away that the sound is quiet enough and not in the immediate vicinity to panic them. A clean through and through in the lungs, liver or intestines a deer doesn' t really feel AT ALL. It' s when we hit a rib and break it or big muscle that they get the feel of the impact. There are NO nerves in the internal organs. They don' t feel anything there. All they feel is surface damage and with a razor sharp broadhead and the hydrostatic shock around the wound... there' s no real sensation on the skin for a few minutes. A deer is dead if hit properly before they feel it. Since this deer took 10 minutes to die I' m sure you didn' t get both lungs and maybe neither... a liver would work like that, or a major artery in the back or leg.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:41 AM

congratulations....good eatin
Old 11-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Davidmil,

I know you' ve been hunting a long time, but don' t think for a minute that internal organs do not have any nerves. They have no parasympathetic nerves---i.e. the ones we can control.

However, all organs and blood vessels (minus the aorta) are actually quite heavily innervated, both extrinsicly and intrinsicly, by sympathetic nerves (you know the auto-nervous system that controls breathing and heart rate). The nerves may be small nerve fibers and not bundles, but they still exist and will still transmit a signal to the brain.

With sharp broadheads though, the fiber is cut so clean and fast the signal actually takes longer to be transmitted as the neurotransmitters and their signalling system take longer to be initiated. A sharp cut also severs the system, does not tear, so there is actually less damage per surface area unit. Therefore, smaller input equals smaller output.

Just thought I might clear that up...

S&R

Old 11-07-2003, 05:09 PM

Congrats!
Old 11-07-2003, 05:16 PM

Congratulations!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:40 PM

Congrats. A good kill is satisfying and confidence-building.