Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What' s The Status Of The Rut In Your Area??

Old 11-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What' s The Status Of The Rut In Your Area??

The rut is just picking up here in ND. Friday and Saturday I didn' t see much rutting activity, but I heard 2 or 3 bucks chasing does through the brush this morning. Saw a group of 4 bucks still traveling together on Friday. This should really be heating up by this weekend. A friend of mine who hunts about 30 miles from me said the bucks have been chasing does for several weeks already.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:58 PM

No activity in Eastern Texas Panhandle except for some rubs. Historically, should be another 7-14 days before it starts.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Southern IL, Jackson County. It has started in the last day or two. Last night I saw 5 bucks chasing the same doe. Then two more bucks came out later. Very responsive to the can and the grunt tube. Scents are good but I have had more luck cleaning out a scrape like area and using the scent there. They are spooking to the scent on a twig.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:10 PM

Sizzzzzzzling here in NY!! [8D] I saw 5 bucks with their noses to the ground, totally ignoring everything around them, yesterday morning between 7:00 and 9:30 am! And yes I did get a shot off, but it was a misfire and whooooooooosh, stuck right in the ground under him. He flinched ever so slightly and then meandered away... (ever see a buck meander???) LOL
Old 11-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

I saw 8 different bucks on Saturday/Sunday in NW IL. The 2 biggest bucks were both chasing does and pretty much unresponsive to the grunt tube. They turned and looked, but never came in. All the smaller bucks I saw were nose to the ground and just scampering around like crazy. It appears as though the rut is in full swing.

I just spotted a nice 8pt chasing a doe through a pasture at about 12:30 when I was on my lunch break.