Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heart or lungs?

Old 11-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heart or lungs?

If I saw that boy in front of me, he' d be gone because I would scream!!!! One of these days I suppose...

One of the reasons I asked this question: I have taken the double lunger because of how lethal and quick it is. I also tend to shoot at about half way up the deer because of the string jump - he ducks, you got em, he doesn' t, you got em. Well, I put an arrow through a doe this year at 18 yards - she was quartered slightly away, head down and away. I picked my usual shot i' ve dropped many deer with and let the arrow fly - Thwot-CRACK! Oh yeah, this one' s down in 40 I thought. I saw my bright colored fletching go right through her chest mid way up just behind the shoulder. My angle of shot - I' m 18 feet up the tree. I saw her run, slow to a trot and start to circle then lost her after 80 yards or so. To my amazement, I never heard her stop, or drop. After a half hour, I got down and checked my arrow - it was drenched in med. to light blood. I thought, oh yeah, she' s down. I went and got my wife and an hour later was back out there tracking her. We found blood 20 yards from where she was shot which turned into a solid path of bright red blood. 100 yards out, the blood stopped. Next blood was more than 50 yards away. Long story short, after 5 hours that night and 4 the next morning, no deer. She was gone. Did I hit only one lung somehow? I consider myself a fairly good tracker - I' ve found many deer without a blood trail, so I' m fairly confident in the effort I put forth to find her. Should I now start trying for heart and cause a more deadly hit? Or is it just that Twilight Zone of bad deer hunting luck taking over? Disappointing to say the least, but I would like to know what happened.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:46 PM

either way is good enough! I honestly aim for the lungs - bigger area & I am just used to aiming in that area.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:59 PM

I shot a doe last year on a somewhat steep angle and clipped one lung and went through the atria of the heart. She went about fifty yards and bedded down. When I tracked her after an hour she was still alive. I crept in and had to shoot her again (double lung). Not a great feeling to shoot a deer at three yards. I was thououghly impressed by the toughness of these animals.