Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade Cover Scents?

Old 11-05-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Homemade Cover Scents?

reading the " Scent free but....." post and i read " ghost Juice" well I was just wondering how many make their own cover scents and if willing would you share your recipes with us? and success or fail rates.... would love to hear some ideas
Old 11-05-2003, 09:51 AM

Default RE: Homemade Cover Scents?

there is some good info here

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1
Old 11-05-2003, 11:13 AM

baking soda works just like stealth dust, besides thats why you put it in you refrigerator-to eliminate odor. I also read that vanilla is a good curiosity scent.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:03 PM
Log

Vanilla is money! that is a little secret that i have always kept to myself..well from the rest of my hunting partners. one day i was making some chocolate cookie dough, (i love the stuff uncooked) and when i was putting in the vanilla i thought this might work well as a scent out in the woods. i poured some on a log and surround area about 20 yards from my stand. Believe it or not that day i had a doe digging up the ground where poured it out! i have used it ever since.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey log, was that natural vanilla? Reason I ask is that natural vanilla is suspended in 80 proof booze---so was it the actual vanilla or the smell of sweet alcohol that worked?!

I also just breezed through the links for the scent killer. Range should have put " 2 cups" of baking soda, not " 2 boxes" . You can also reduce this to 1 cup, but no worries about the extra. Be sure you don' t cap it too soon, or the reaction will cause a release of gas and a big mess to clean up---learned that one from experience

I think earth scented scent killer is the ticket, any residual aroma will smell like forest floor.

If you hunt in an agricultural area, find the nearest sheep rancher. The urine and feces make good cover smells, milder than cow and still related to the deer. When I was younger and worked on farms, my friends and I would store our hunting clothes in the hay loft. The smell of hay seemed to work as well as manure.

S&R
Old 11-05-2003, 02:37 PM

Anyone ever try using one of those car freshner vanilla tree things? I bought one for my car the other day and a little lite bulb went on..... wonder if i could either hang this in a tree or put it in the bag with my clothes? Although I don' t really want them to look right at me, which might happen if my clothes smell like it.

Also, didn' t the Team Fitzgerald scent " VK" , seen here
, used to be called " Vanilla Killa" ? Wonder if he changed it cause people just started using Vanilla on their own.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:39 PM

LOL...Listen to Strut. I was in a hurry and I only left the cap off for about 3 hours. I went hunting and used the scent that night. The next morning the bottle was as hard as a rock. I felt like I was holding a time bomb in my hand. Needless to say, I had to make a new batch.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:44 PM

hunt3r...I think you have to do what Log said. Put it on the ground not up in the tree with you. I think it would be quite funny though to walk up on a hunter in his stand to see Vanilla trees hanging all around him.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:48 PM

[] rofl.... i meant hang it in a shooting lane, not up in the tree with me!

Thats also why i thought the idea of making your clothes smell like an attractent, in this case vanilla, is bad cause then they could look right at you.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:59 PM

I agree this would be a bad idea. I dont want to smell like anything.