Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Update: Finally Found Buck

Old 11-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Update: Finally Found Buck

Thought I would start a new thread on this subject as the original has become long at this point. If you aren' t familiar with the story, you can read my eariler post if interested.

After all of the responses (some critical and some constructive) I have decided to come clean w/ the rest of the details. The situation was very upsetting and depressing when this big buck presented such an easy opportunity and my friend blew it with a marginal shot and was not able to recover the animal timely. After 1 1/2 weeks, the buck was recovered and he struggled to feel good about the kill. He is neither a meat hunter nor horn hunter but rather someone who derives enjoyment from all aspects of the experience, so this situation left him somewhat empty.

I shared the story with you, partly curious if we were making too much of it. Afterall, the shot was responsible, well within range and he had practiced religously for months. Further, after recognizing it was a marginal shot, he took the appropriate steps by waiting 2 1/2 hours instead of pushing the deer. On top of that, he searched for hours and hours, returning several times over the next 1 1/2 weeks trying to find the deer.

Should he be ashamed? Should the antlers be hung in a discret location separate from other " legitimate" kills? I am relatively new to the whole sport so I don' t know, but finding the deer, whether it be a legitimate bow kill or not, is certainly better than the alternative.

Anyway, as for coming clean, I was too embarrassed and upset to admit that my " friend" was really me. I struggled to take pride in this hunt/kill, but felt it would be a complete waste as well as disrespect for the animal if I did not derive some level of satisfaction from it. I felt most proud of my relentless commitment to find this animal (as many of you recognized) and I' m glad I found it. I can' t say that too many of the responses to the original post made me feel any better about the situation, but I understand why. However, your posts and the experience itself have certainly taught me more about the sport of bowhunting, and for that, I believe I will be better prepared when presented with the next opportunity. Thanks for your feedback.

David.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Update: Finally Found Buck

No shame in seeing it through. You stuck with it & recovered the deer. Was the rack mountable? You could always do a Texas mount just to remind yourself of the experience & your dedication for future focus and respect.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

No dis-respect at all tealboy, it happens to all of us from time to time, We all could take a lesson from you on not giving up on your search for your trophy, way to go.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I see it you did shoot and kill a buck. Ultimately it was recovered. If it was me I would tag it and mount the rack. That' s totally legal. And it would bring some closure to the situation. In the end you' ve taken far more than just the rack. The experience of the entire situation will help you grow and become a better hunter.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said Jeramyk.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

" I believe I will be better prepared when presented with the next opportunity."

Well said, thats the most important part.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

Bionicrooster
" We do not inherit our wildlife from our fathers, we only borrow it from our children."

nice quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a similar situation last year. Shot a smaller 8 Pt, at the shot shot my cable slide broke, which operated my arrow rest. Cable slaped the arrow, arrow struck deer in chest, but penetration was limited. Deer ran off, no blood, no hair, nothing. The only reason I know I hit him was I saw the arrow sticking out. Looked that night, the next morning and into the day. Nothing. I went back next weekend, followed my nose to what was left of him. I cut the antlers off and took them home. I keep them as a reminder to check my equipment as well as out of respect for the deer. I killed him, but becuase of my lack of attention to detail most of him went to waste, the other critters ate well though. I would keep the antlers and mount them on a board or do a skull mount. You deserve credit for continueing to look for the deer well after most would have given up. It' s not an easy thing, but it does happen.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:40 AM

tealboy,you have my utmost respect.first, for coming clean.second,for continuing to look for your deer,and finding it.good job!there many people out here that would neither.i,for one,am proud of your perserverance(?).just my thoughts and MHO.good job.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

tealboy....congrats on coming clean. No need to be ashamed...things happen, and you did your best. At least you found him.

Quick Reply: Update: Finally Found Buck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.