Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Update: Finally Found Buck

Old 11-05-2003, 06:20 AM

Default RE: Update: Finally Found Buck

Tealboy

You one are a excellent bowhunter in my book. We need more like you in the woods. Most slob hunters would have searched for the deer for no more that 2 hours. Like you I am a new bowhunter. I had a friend shoot a doe opening weekend. He made a bad hit on the doe, not because of his shooting ability but because he took the shot when he should not have. He was 30 feet up a tree and the deer was 10 yards from his stand quartering towards. Of course he gut shot the deer. He came out of the woods at dark. I was at the barn when he came out. He showed me his arrow and I knew from the color and smell it was a paunch shot. I told him he needed to wait 6 hours before tracking. He agreed, after about 3 hours he started to get antsy and wanted to go track the deer. Against my advice he went ahead. He returned in 2 hours for my help. When I returned with him we marked the trail and found were the doe' s first bedded, 60 yards from his stand. But he went back in too early and pushed the deer, I am convinced if he would have left the deer alone she would have probably stayed in the bed and expired. I searched for the deer with him for another 4 hours to no avail. He told me he would resume trailing the next morning. I believe he never returned. When tracking a deer you have to use your head. If its a bad shot and you know it, wait. The deer is not going anywhere......unless it is pushed by the hunter. Patience is the key. I read " Trailing Whitetails" by John Trout Jr. a few weeks ago......awesome book. John has made some bad shots on deer also but he knows when to wait and knows when to push a deer. You can get it off Amazon.com for like $9. It is a excellent resource for any bowhunter.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:47 AM

I already figured you were your " friend" . Not many people would have gone to the trouble you did to find that deer. You have nothing to be ashamed of and I would mount the antlers as a reminder.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Rather than lie to me... I' d rather you just don' t tell the next time.[:' (]
It' s still a found carcass.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:17 AM

tealboy,

you have obviously learned a lot from this hunt. something to consider - every bowhunter takes pride in not only finding their own kill, but the kill of others. next time get as much help as you can find (possibly from this board). you' d be surprised at just how many guys (and gals) would be willing to assist in a grid search.

best of luck with the rest of the season!
Willie
Old 11-05-2003, 08:59 AM

Tealboy, Thanks for coming clean. I' m sure it has lifted some weight off your shoulders.
I' ve personally lost a buck, A couple of years ago on opening day of firearm season. I hit it hard and it went down. Got up after kicking about 15seconds and was gone in two bounds. This is the first and only deer I' ve ever lost but it made me just sick. I spent 3 long days in the woods looking for that deer. We had good blood for 60-70 yards and then it just stopped. I tried in vain to find that deer so I know just how you feel. I however didn' t have the perserverance that you had and I never found that buck.
You have no reason to be ashamed. I' m sure most of us have lost a deer at some point and if we hunt long enough it may happen again. You' ve obviously learned from this and that is most important.
The way I see it is you can hang those antlers or you just got yourself a great set of rattle horns. Either way you' ve earned them the hard way. If you' d like some venison send me an Email and I can overnight you a couple of fat juicy Maine doe steaks. Hang in there and stick with it!!!