Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Warning about Scent Blocker clothes....

Old 11-04-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Warning about Scent Blocker clothes....

Last October I purchased a complete set of Scent Blocker outerwear. Northenr Lites edition coat and bibs. Awesome stuff!

Last night I wanted to dry the exterior and re-charge the lining so I went to a laundry mat. I put my clothes in the dryer, dropped two quarters and went to the store next door for a carton of OJ and some cereal.

After the 15 minutes was up I removed my clothes and noticed something was wrong. Very wrong!

The coat and bibs had shrunk horribly! Were talking $400.00 worth of shrunken clothes!

I called my wife right away but I knew they were goners. She looked for the tags and instructions for me while I waited on the phone.

According to the directions they tell you to re-charge by placing in the dryer for 30-40 minutes. I had 15 minutes. There are no warnings about heat placements or anything like that. Then I looked at the tag on the clothes and they state to never use a dryer, but to hang dry! WHat the heck?

Needless to say I was very dissapointed. So about an hour ago I started the laundering process on a brand new set.

The reason I bought them again is the store manager said that should never have happened and that he would get them replaced for me.

I do love this brand as they are very comfortable and effective.

Just wanted to caution anyone thinking of using a commercial dryer or a high heat setting at home. It is an aweful feeling let me tell ya.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Warning about Scent Blocker clothes....

So I' d say they' re just a gimmick. IF they have carbon the only way to release the scent molecules is through heating. Washing won' t do it. I' d say save your $400 the next time. You can buy 3 1/2 nice light weight outer suits for that money.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:58 PM

Where is test data that gives indisputable evidence that the clothing is " awesome" and " effective?"
Old 11-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Where' s the data that says they don' t work? I' ve used them enough to prove to myself they do help, WHEN USED PROPERLY. If you think that they' re a cure all and there' s no longer a need to do everything possible to be scent free, then your right, save your money. If, on the other hand, you realize that they' re just another part of the scent free process, then they' re well worth the money. Unfortunately, it seems most people who buy them use them improperly and don' t get the results they expect. I' ll admit, some of this is due to the claims made by the manufacturers. WiGutPiles, glad they gave you a replacement. It would probably be worth a call to Robinson Outdoors and find out if there' s a mistake somewhere.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:51 PM

I bought camo with the scent pro lining a coupld of years ago, and its care tag says to recharge, place in dryer on high heat for 30 minutes. And as to its effectiveness, I would have to say that since I got my camo, I have not been busted nearly as much from scent. It has happened, but it is very rare now, whereas it used to be a somewhat regular occurrence. Maybe i have just started paying attention to the wind or something, but either way, i think the scent control systems do help.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:39 PM

Read this....

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/...cent_suits.htm
Old 11-04-2003, 02:45 PM

No scent-lok. 80 degrees. Swirling wind. VERY sweaty clothes and I still saw a lot of deer last weekend. I am only posting this because I think most people would think you' d have to have scent lok to keep the deer from scenting you. Not true. I had several in bow range. Granted, I would have rather been cool and dry but, sometimes you don' t have a choice.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Corrigan' s gonna ruffle some feathers with that one...I bet he ain' t part of team " Scent Loc" !
Old 11-04-2003, 03:00 PM

There have been several similar topics and many people have strong feelings both ways. To a point, I am sure they are not " AS" effective as the manufacturer or repesentative claims, BUT, I will do whatever I can to outwit a whitetails BEST defense mechanism. Many people forget one thing. Deer that live in a somewhat urban area or farm area or any area for that fact that has humans frequenting it, are much more tolerant of various odors. The area I hunt has very little pressure and there are deer that may have never " come close" to a human. Also, we have a growing wolf population in this area and the deer have natural predation to worry about 365 days of the year, so they are VERY wary. So, again, " IF" I can get one up on them, I will do it.

By the way, I' m happy to hear that the store is backing you on this!!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought into the Scent-Lok concept. If I had to do it again I' d pass. I do think it helps but I don' t think it' s worth the money.