Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to make a mock scrape

Old 11-04-2003, 11:20 AM

Default How to make a mock scrape

After reading some recent post about peeing in a scarp, how would one make a mock scrap?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:38 AM

Default RE: How to make a mock scrape

i made one today, took a stick and cleared an area the size of a basketball if not just a tid bigger, then i urinated in it (i' ve heard ppl say they get more response to them) but wasnt sure about a lickin branch so i didnt touch it, but you could spray/place tarsal gland or hot doe scent in the scrape
Old 11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

You' ll spend a fortune making them before you actually shoot a deer on one. AND THEN, he probably could or would have been shot anyway. Stand placement, hunt the wind, scent control(not addition) usually do very well. I just don' t like to walk all over the place making scrapes etc. According to most of the " EXPERTS" that sell this snake oil, you should start early, ahead of the rut and freshen them frequently. Well, to me that' s just making stink and mess and spending money needlessly. The time spent making them and finding the " right" spot would be better spent finding alternate stand sites and sign. If you do that, you' ll get a deer and another and another etc.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Very important first step: Find an overhanging branch about 5 ft off the ground. Don' t touch it, just leave it alone and the deer will take care of " scenting" that up. Use a stick to clear an area 2 ft by 3 ft . Apply doe in heat and some sort of buck scent to the scrape. The last step really makes the difference. Urinate into the scrape. That seems to increase the effectiveness of the scents you already applied. Applying some scents and urinating in an existing scrape seems to increase the activity near it as well. A friend shot a buck in a mock scrape we made and I have increased my buck sightings by using them.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made a mock scrape a few weeks ago, dumped buck piss in it and hung a drip bag with doe urine over it. I made this scrape in a spot where there were no sign of bucks at all - no scrapes or rubs. But I knew it was a heavy doe area between beds and feeding areas complete with parallel trails downwind of the doe trails. I couldn' t go further into the area near where the bucks bed because of limitations of the property. Within a week, there was another scrape within 20 yards of my scrape. In the past week, my scrape has gotten bigger and another scrape appeared downwind of the natural scrape. It' s important to follow the known facts of deer behavior as best you can (parallel trails that bucks run to scent does, rubs in the area, the wind, bedding areas vs. feeding areas, doe staging areas, etc..) But not all times we can find the perfect place to hunt because of property lines. Where there are does frequently, the bucks will come to find them - be sure of that. Be sure to make your scrape in an oblong shape - deer will most always make an oval scrape rather than a perfectly round one. Like the other posts say - take a stick and scrape up the ground - get rid of grass and everything and leave only bare dirt. It is better to make a scrape with a twiggy type branch 5 feet directly above it, but if that' s not possible because of shooting lanes and type of cover or whatever, not to worry too much. Bucks will make territorial scrapes without the licking branch just to say I' m here or I want to take your women over. Rarely are these scrapes ever revisited by the deer that made them, but often will draw other bucks in to the area. Good luck!