Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The deer have been abducted!

Old 11-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The deer have been abducted!

My vacation for deer hunting this year has coincided with the disappearance of deer all around these parts. The extreemly heavy rains we had on Monday (3" ) and Wednesday (2" ) last week kept me inside because it was a downpour . . . and I did manage to harvest a large doe Tuesday evening--she was one of the 2 or 3 I saw all last week.

But this heat . . . . [:@]

Yesterday, after another uneventful morning hunt, I asked my wife if she wanted to take a drive down to Skyline Drive in the Shenendoah--since the temps here were already in the mid 80' s and it was only 11am. We left here a short while later as temps continued on toward 90 degrees--no point in hunting in that kind of weather.

I thought we' d surely seen TONS of deer on Skyline Drive since every trip we take down there results in hundreds of deer sighted including some huge bucks. By 1/2 hour after sunset, we had sighted just one lone doe--and 4 BEARS! [] The remainder of the trip back up Skyline Drive resulted in a few more doe sightings (very few) and one small 6 point, but nothing at all like it has been in every year prior. The stinkin' heat is causing the deer to stay in the coolest place they can find until well after dark and to be back there before sunrise.

It' s supposed to be around 80 again today with heavy rains coming back tomorrow.

I slept in this morning. [:@]
Old 11-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The deer have been abducted!

Dave do not feel like the lone ranger, it is even warmer here than there, I have seen 2 doe since this heat set in and both of them were well after legal shooting hours! I am really bummed, I am taking off the 17-21 of this month, I sure hope it gets colder.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taz--except for the nice doe, the first week and 1/2 has been a bust. Still got a week and 1/2 to go and the cold weather is supposed to get here by this weekend--after 3 days of rain!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yea it is supposed to start raining here tomorrow, it is so warm I am not even going out this afternoon, I may go set a new stand in a spot I have been thinking about hunting though. Ten to one I jump a monster while setting the stand.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:16 AM

I feel your pain. The heat is slowing things down in Illinois as well.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was supposed to have the first two weeks of Nov off but had to work this week and only was able to take next week. Looks like I didn' t miss much although I have taken a deer on Nov 4th each year for the last 4 years so that ended. Can' t wait till Sat.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

Did you say " All the deer have been molested?"
Old 11-05-2003, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with you fellows! I took all week off, and missed an easy 29 yard shot on a big old doe Saturday, saw a nice buck Monday morning way out of range for my bow ( muzzle loader is in, but I am bowhunting, but rethinking that choice with all the heat!) Yesterday was a bust as well. I have three differnt areas to hunt and all activity is limited to early mornings and well after dark. The mornings are turning out to be the best, but still not great. I also took a week off in mid OCT to bowhunt WVA. We had snow, sleet, rain, and high winds on that trip. I did manage a Doe, but I sure had to work hard for her! I guess I just picked a couple of lousy weeks as far as weather goes![:@]
Old 11-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

This heat wave along with the time change has really messed up my hunting times. [:' (] Not enough daylight when I get home from work and when I have had the time it' s been unseasonably warm. This weekend is off limits for me because of overtime at work. I' m thinking it might be a good idea to call in sick Monday or Tuesday. I' ve got to try out my ASAT.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

I know exactly what you mean, I took off this week and have not seen a thing. I did get to take my 13 yr old son out Sunday evening, he shot a large body button buck, dropped him right in his tracks!