Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bizarre things in the woods.....?

Old 11-04-2003, 09:11 AM

Default RE: Bizarre things in the woods.....?

Sometimes when I' m bored on the stand I talk to chickadees. Learning to whistle like them is easy and they really respond. I' ve had chickadees land about two inches from my nose on the upper rail of my climber. I' ve also tried whistling like a chickadee when does or small bucks are around. I' ve NEVER had one even turn its head.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:48 AM

got attacked by a humming bird: he came in and hovered about 6 inches from my face. made a few flight adjustments and landed on a limb maybe 5 ft from me.
i was hunting this same stand 4 days later and here he comes again. i think he might have been after the bright fletching on the arrows, its gotten a little cooler and i haven' t seen him since. only my fox....[:-]
Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 AM

Last year bowhunting in Iowa, a hawk continually dive bombed me. He scratched my nose, and his wings hit me in the head 2 of the dive bombs. It felt like a zip-lock bag of flour being dropped on my head. I had a face mask on, and I think he thought my eyes were an animal.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:14 AM

This year has had a few different things go on in the woods. First, I had a three pointer eat too many apples too fast and he puked all over the place. Under ten yards and my son and I couldn' t stop laughing. Saw two groundhogs fighting hard last week. Years ago, I had the helecopter also. That thing almost blew my hat off. Someone robbed the local bank. I' ve seen kids doing the wild thing and one time, I found a bag full of girls panties, (I didn' t keep them!)

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.

Greg
Old 11-04-2003, 11:59 AM

About 10 years ago, I got to my stand a good half hour or so before light. Right about dawn, I heard tinkling on the leaves beneath me. I looked over and not 2 feet off to my side was a constant stream coming down. I visually followed it all the way up to a porcupine that was obviously relieving himself - perched about 15 feet above me IN THE SAME TREE. As soon as he finished (I swear, his bladder must have held about a gallon!), he started crawling down the tree. Due to the close proximity, he essentially had me handcuffed, so I took the arrow off the string and planned on stabbing him if he got any closer than necessary. When he got to eye level, he noticed me on the stand ready to skewer him and completed his descent pretty fast from there. He hit the ground running and disappeared into some blowdowns.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:26 PM

I had a house cat sit below my stand for half the morning just meowing. At lunch time I got down and chased that thing away. The neatest thing I have ever seen is a squirrel feeding on acorns one minute and then the next being pickedup by a hawk and taken away. Now if there were only another million hawks!!

It was cool seeing the squirrel being held while the bird was in flight!
Old 11-04-2003, 12:35 PM

I saw a deer once...
Old 11-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

deer? what' s that?