Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your take on " paying" to get your trophy buck!

Old 11-05-2003, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: your take on " paying" to get your trophy buck!

My take on this whole thing is, If you hunt a fenced area you are not a hunter you are a shooter, big difference.
If you pay for a hunt and all you have to do is show up and they point you to your stand and you sit there and wait for Mr. Big Buck once again you are a shooter not a hunter.

To me a hunter has to hunt. This is scouting, figuring out the deer patterns, hanging tree stands and moving when needed. We all know that hunting is hard work sometimes but that is what makes the rewards so sweet.

Lets say you take someone that really knows how to shoot a rifle very well but they have never hunted in their life. They pay for a nice hunt somewhere and they shoot a B&C buck, does this make them a hunter? Not in my book.

Now take someone that gets out and scouts a area, learns to pattern deer and place treestands and all of the other stuff that goes with hunting. Now this guy takes a nice doe. This is a hunter.

Its not the size of the deer that makes you a hunter.........its the hunt!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Have a great day!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

As is often the case with my opinion in situations like this....to each his own....in reference to paid hunts that is...not necessarily your specific situation. If a hunter enjoys paying to hunt big animals some place other than where he typically hunts then that is his choice. Personally, I have a hard enough time tagging a legal buck in the heavily pressured public land that I hunt in SE Pennsylvania. That is enough challenge for me...
Old 11-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

justthrowit I don' t think I read anything into your post, you said
Basically doing the dirty work so you can go out and hopefully bag a monster.
I was just expressing my personal opinion of what hunting is, I spend more time preseason scouting than I do on stand, to me the scouting and setting of stands is the biggest part of being a hunter and not the time spent sitting in a stand, once you are sitting in a stand the hunting part is finished except for the aim and release. I am not knocking folks who pay others to do the " dirty work" , all I am saying is to me the dirty work is the part of the hunter, the shooting can be done by a hunter or a shooter. I prefer to be able to say that I did it all. Do not get me wrong I have gone hunting with friends and they have put me on a stand and I have killed deer from them, but the satisfaction is not as great, still makes me a happy camper though. If I had enough money to pay for guided hunts I would dump it into land I could hunt myself instead.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

fair enough!!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 12:54 AM

Depends on the hunt.

Fenced in : killer, not hunter
Leased : who knows

I saw a show on one of the " outdoor" channels the other day. A guy was taking his son on his first " hunt" . The noisily walked down a dirt road, when they spotted a nice buck. The kid shot it, I' ll admit it was a nice shot, but was it a hunt?, no.

Depends what you get out of it. I' m blessed with alot when it comes to hunting, others are not, and time/geography limits them.