Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

which way do deer run after the shot?

Old 11-03-2003, 05:56 PM

Default RE: which way do deer run after the shot?

I have found that they usually circle to the side they are hit on.But nothing in deer hunting is usual.That' s why it' s so great.

Joe
Old 11-03-2003, 06:43 PM

I find a direct corriation between the direction the deer runs to the path that the blood drips.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot a bunch of deer. To me, their general direction of flight(if in the woods) is usually the way they were headed. BUT, there is one more telling thing than that. They ALWAYS run AWAY from your vehicle.[:@][:' (][:' (]

I' m serious, I' ve always said that... then the one I shot the other day... I was so excited I called Len and told him the deer ran TOWARDS THE TRUCK![][][][] I really did. I couldn' t believe it. All he had to do was do a back flip and he could have taken 10 hops and been down a danged mountain side that would have taken an hour just to get him back up. But NOooooooo, this stupid deer took the easy route for the dragger(me). He ran to within 200 yards of the truck.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I have a good answer - Most often if you allow them to pass - and shoot " quartering away" - they will continue that course of movement - nor they might circleback - and so-on but the will not usually do a 180.

If you shoot " early" and take them broadside or quartering towards - they usually do a 180.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:08 PM

In the opposite direction that their a$$ is facing...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never really can tell.Mine usually drop in their tracks
Old 11-04-2003, 03:18 AM

In the opposite direction that their a$$ is facing
I would have to agree with that
Old 11-04-2003, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

They ALWAYS run AWAY from your vehicle
LOL the only time I have found this to not be true is when you are so far back in it doesn' t matter.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

I know it sounds a bit strange, but more often than not, to the right. A week ago I would have said in the direction they were heading, but our camp host during a recent hunting trip made the comment that usually after a shot, deer run to the right. This man has been hunting for over 50 years and has definitely killed his share of deer. Thought about it for a while and all but one deer (out of 8 that I' ve shot) ran to the right...that' s the shooter' s right. Has anyone else heard such a thing?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most of my deer run right into the thickest cover they can find and then don' t leave it. I have even had a few that run uphill consistantly before heading into the previously mentioned thick stuff.

Quick Reply: which way do deer run after the shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.