Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Hunt out of Summit Viper

Old 11-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Hunt out of Summit Viper

Well, I finally got a chance to actually hunt out of the Viper yesterday. Wow, very comfy. There are a couple things I' m wondering about for those of you who use Summit stands. The rope that you are supposed to tie to the top section, how many of you use it? I find it cumbersome and tends to get in the way alot for some reason.

Also, the cable on the platform rattle when going up a tree. Is there any way to quiet this? I watched the video and they covered how to limit noise, but I think there' s gotta be a better way to do it. Of course Its a lot quieter then my old Loggy.

Other than that, no complaints other than I think the plateform need about 4 more inched on it, as I think its quite small.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First Hunt out of Summit Viper

You better tie that rope. I know it can be a pain. But what happens when if your feet slip out of the platfoem while climbing or getting down. You will be stuck in a tree then. When I first got my summit I thought it was a bit loud also. But the more you use it the quieter it gets. I am quiet as a mouse when getting in an out of a tree.
good luck
Old 11-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Better safe than sorry on the rope deal................
Old 11-02-2003, 05:31 PM

use the rope, its hard to get down a tree with the bottom of the stand laying on the ground, i agree the more you use it the quieter it will get, i love mine.[:-]
Old 11-02-2003, 05:45 PM

I don' t use the rope.........never have.

I use the strap that you secure the stand together with that has the tooth clamp on it.......the green one.

I hook my two pieces together with that and it gives enough room to climb and can be done very fast. The green strap is supposed to be for extra securing of the top part to the tree but I really don' t see how it would ever help except in a case of complete failure and collapse of the stand........and if that happens your saftey harness will be the most important thing.

Your cables are as quiet as you are......you will get better at climbing quietly like everyone has said. One thing I will tell you is it is a lot easier to climb quietly if the tree is not gigantic. When the cables are way out to the last nub or 2 they start to sag at that length and therefore drag more on the tree. With the cables shorter on smaller trees they are very stiff and move easily away from the tree.....as long as you remember to rock the bottom up by lifting your heels first the cables should not scrape the bark.

One thing I have found after owning my Summit for awhile is they are SO secure feeling that it almost tempts you to skip some of the " just in case" stuff. I have climbed more then a few trees with no connection between the platforms........I am so comfortable in that stand that I have mastered the technique of changing the length of my cable on the bottom platform while way up a tree........Not something I or Summit recommends doing I am sure I have only had to do it a couple times and I was Veeeeeeeeeery careful.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the quick replies. I want to use all the just in case stuff, but was wondering what everyone else was finding with this stand. I kinda figured that the more I use it, the quieter it will be. I am getting more and more comfortable with it the more I use it. Its a big jump from a Loggy Bayou to this! But, I' m sold on the Summit, man was that thing nice to snooze in yesterday afternoon!! Sure beats worrying about falling out while sleeping like I used to do in the Loggy.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:20 PM

i agree with atlasman on the security feeling of the Summits. I really hate heights but i am starting to get comfy with the Summit, yesterday i was halfwys up the tree before i remembered to attach my safety rope and once i got to my hunting height i actually adjusted the length of the cable on the seat portion.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Spike

Muzzy, if your stand has the mounts for the footrest, it' s a very smart investment to puchase one.That 6- 8 inches makes ALL the difference in the world, when it comes to stretching your legs out.
As far as quietness, the only trouble that I have found is when walking to the stand. The cables seem to make alot of noise on mine.Good luck! Cutt
Old 11-02-2003, 06:58 PM

I always tie the rope. Just keep it on the outside of the rail. It' s never caused any problems unless you are trying to take extremely long strides. You' ll get quieter after a couple times. One thing I did was epoxy a piece of inner tube rubber where the cable swages will make contact to the main frame. That helped some.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: First Hunt out of Summit Viper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.