Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Hunt out of Summit Viper

Old 11-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Hunt out of Summit Viper

Love my Viper. A few tips from the techies at Summit, who I pestered with calls after purchasing my stand...

For reducing noise: when carrying: (1) push the cables as far as possible into the framing, this will reduce any " bounce" from side to side within the framing. (2) use the green strap and wrap the two platforms vertically, not horizontally as indicated on the tape. Go vertically between the V and the outer edge of the stand, much quieter. When climbing: (3) be sure you lift the platform away from the tree so there is no drag against the bark. That usually rattles the cables and makes mucho noise.

Personally, as for the rope, I never tie my platforms together. Why take chances---I' m much more careful if I know I have to shimmy 15 feet down a tree because I was too careless to pay attention. I' ve also adjusted the cables once while in the tree, not fun. Had to bring the bottom all the way up and sit on the bar---luckily I have large hands and long arms. It is much easier to just adjust the angle by putting tension on the cable, lifting out the platform with your heels and then putting downward pressure on the tree-part of the platform with your toes. I' ve found I can manipulate the stand angle by an average of 6 inches on most trees.

AS for smooth trees, that' s like climbing telephone poles. To me that' s more idiotic than climbing without the rope tied, and an accident waiting to happen. Not only can your stand slip, but the tether rope for your harness can also slide all the way down the tree/pole. Not good.

I try not to take naps, but with a secure stand, 4-point harness and tether rope, I feel I' m just as safe there than as on the ground. Especially during gun season---not many bullets buzz by your head at 15-20 feet off the ground

S&R

Old 11-04-2003, 01:22 PM

I have one tree that I climb that is in the bottom of a very deep draw. Problem is that the deer I' m wanting are on the ridge. This necessitates about a 40-45 foot climb. I have to shorten the bottom cable once on the way up and I' ve found that the easiest way to do it is to attach the seat to the tree like normal and face out. Don' t forget the harness. I' ve personally put 4 bowhunters in wheelchairs for life because of treestand falls.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:25 PM

I also have a viper. I really like it. But I have a hard time getting the two sections apart after transporting it. The teeth get stuck to the V and it won' t come apart. It is a very noisy process doing so anyway. This happens when I push the two sections together all of the way. If I don' t push the one section in, it makes too much noise while walking. Any suggestions??
Old 11-04-2003, 04:22 PM

Muzzyman88, I have a Summit Cobra XL and love it. I found that covering the end of the cables with tape so that it fits into the stand tightly works very well to dampen the noise. I also placed a piece of adhesive padding to the stand where the cable stems out from the stand. My stand is very quite now. hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the advice in quieting it. I' m off all next week for the rut here in PA and have been putting the finishing personal touches on this stand. I did do the electrical tape thing around a couple of the cable nubs and it did really quiet it! I also put some fleece where the two peices contact one another when you pack it, just for added quietness. I also put some camo tape around where the metal foot buckle is as I noticed there is a chance that when loosened, it can accidentally hit the platform and make noise.

Seems A ok for me know, I' m ready for next week!!
Old 11-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

Wear your safety harness...
Old 11-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I like my Viper alot,I also have a Cobra top that I use for bow hunting.I replaced the plastic rope between the sections with a more flexable clothesline type rope and made it a little longer.I can also attest to the bottom falling out[]I have found a few ways to make things work better for me but mostly it is just getting used to using the stand.And it works!I took my first bow deer from it this year.Ron