Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Hunt out of Summit Viper

Old 11-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2003, 07:48 PM

Default RE: First Hunt out of Summit Viper

The first few times I used my Viper I wasn' t impressed with the noise, but after using it for a month it' s quieted down quite a bit. It just takes some getting used to.

A quick, spooky story about that security rope: USE IT!

This past week I was hunting a perfect little point that juts out into cut corn. Great spot, tons of buck sign and I saw two dandies in there before season. I got about 12-14 feet off the ground and my feet came out of the platform. I figured, no big deal, my string is attached. WRONG! I looked down in horror as my platform slid clear to the bottom of the tree. I said a really bad word and surveyed the situation. I was trying to decide what to do when my a** slid right off the pad out front and I tumbled out of the tree. Luckily I landed alright and got my stand down with a long stick. I sat at the base of the tree for 5 minutes and climbed up for the rest of the evening. Pretty hairy experience. I must say, I' m glad I wasn' t hooked in with my harness yet, because I' m not sure what I would' ve done at the end of the safety tether?!?

So tie your stand up! Good luck.

Tyler
Old 11-02-2003, 08:28 PM

the more you use em the better it is, i hunt from a grand slam myself but my dad has a viper and with my api i am pretty slick and very quiet but i tried the summit the toehr day and i was so clumbsy gettin in and out of the woods and in the tree it wasnt funny its not a bad stand i just wasnt used to it, i think after time they break in and get good
Old 11-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

PAbearbuster, wow, that is pretty spooky! I wasn' t too concerned about climbing with the rope tied, but after reading that, I' m not so sure. Did you have it real tight on your boots? Man, I can' t see how your feet could come out of it, but then again, stranger things have happened!

I was more concerned with the plateform coming loose while sitting. I had it tied yesterday while sitting and wanted to see how good the plateform grips the tree and to my suprise, a little wiggle back and forth and it wasn' t very stable. I stood up on it and wiggled a bit back and forth to seat it again and it was fine, but wow.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:01 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I don' t use the rope.........never have.

I use the strap that you secure the stand together with that has the tooth clamp on it.......the green one.

I hook my two pieces together with that and it gives enough room to climb and can be done very fast. The green strap is supposed to be for extra securing of the top part to the tree but I really don' t see how it would ever help except in a case of complete failure and collapse of the stand........and if that happens your saftey harness will be the most important thing.

You' re all right as long as you' re sitting, but if you don' t have that top tied off, and you stand for a shot, it can fall down on you (especially on a smooth-barked tree...believe me, I know form experience). It' s not going to leave you stranded, cause you' re on the standing platform, but all the extra motion & noise from the top falling will sure ruin your chance at that deer.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:55 AM

I' m glad you like the new stand. Fall asleep??? I don' t care what stand you' re in, you better not be sleeping. If you are sleepy, it' s time to get out of the stand because it' s only a matter of time before you have an accident. Also, if you are taking a snooze, you are not really hunting anymore, so you may as well sit/lay on the ground for a spell. Treestand accidents are no laughing matter. More hunters get hurt/killed/paralyzed each year by using treestands than from any other source. Please be safe. Sleep at home.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:57 AM

I use the rope too, to tie the top and bottom portions of my Summit together. However, I' m finding that more and more, the rope gets between the tree and the bottom v-jaws of the foot portion of the climber. When this happens, you cannot take long movements with the climber as your ascending the tree.

Anyone else have this problem?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 11-03-2003, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Instead of that green strap I use a bunge cord, also use bunges to hold the stand together while backpacking.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:42 AM

I hear ya Braindamage..........I know I should tie it to the tree, I just don' t. Before I turn around from my climbing position I shift my stand side to side in a slight rocking motion to really dig the teeth into the tree. My stand is so solid once I get set up that I really have to yank on it to break it free when it' s time to get down.

I try not to climb smooth bark trees......they are more trouble then they are worth.

I am kinda surprised no one has asked me how exactly I manage to change the length of the cable on the bottom platform while up a tree. []

I have side bags on mine and they made a lot of noise when walking so I put 2 small bungies on them now and they are silent.......no flopping around.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Spike

Atlas, Well, how in the heck do you? I' ve thought about it before, but " they" aren' t big enough to try it!!! Cutt

Quick Reply: First Hunt out of Summit Viper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.