Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

knucklehead bow hunt.

Old 11-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default knucklehead bow hunt.

Spent another 12 hours on stand today. seen 2 doe at 8 am. No bucks yet ,even though I' m in the area of over a dozen active stinky scrapes. Then around 11 am I seen a huge bodied deer up on the ridge running around like crazy. I thought huge body a buck in rut. Then down the hill comes the biggest doe I ever seen.Remember this property has not been hunted in 30 years. Looked like a horse and its neck was long like a giraffe. Its head looked like it was a mule head. It was breathing real hard mouth open,tongue hanging out. Then I heard the 4 wheelers.. Anyway I took aim at 25 yards and let a bolt go.Wack.It just stood there and its legs started shaking.Turned around and just walked away. Man what kind of hit was that? Well I hit a 3 inch tree instead of the deer. Now it gets strange. The bolt was buried in the tree about 5 feet higher then the deer shoulder. And it was straight in,not any angle like it was deflected up.Just cant understand how it got way up there.The blade was totally buried in the tree,so it had the punch. So I came home and took a practice shot. It shot 12" low this time at 25 yards.Quess my season is over,the x-bow must have some major problems. Called the shop today,they are to busy to fix it. and to replace it with a egual one would be 800.00,just for 2 more weeks of bow season. I will take a look at it tommorrow again,but dont have much hope. I checked everything is tight and Like I said it got its full punch and buries the bolts like normal. Checked the scope ,tight also. I wonder if the terrifif jolt the x-bows cause on the scope ,if the scope recticle is broke?? any ideas?I just dont understand how that bolt got so high and was at a level even plane.I' m only 5' 7" the bolt was like straight in the tree at 8 feet.I' m puzzled? Oh and it is a good simmons slug gun scope.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2003, 12:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: knucklehead bow hunt.

Assasin,comments appreciated.But This is the same outfit I have been shooting for 4 years.have not changed anything ,still the same type bolts and thunderheads. Was always so accurate.Shot 14 deer with it.Something just went crazy all of a sudden.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:11 AM

Car...Did you shoot it off a bench like you would sight in your rifle? Give that a try if you haven' t so you can see what your groups are like? If it' s grouping then you should be able to adjust the scope. If it' s not grouping, instead of scrapping the season, why not take the scope off and try shooting with iron sights. That' s assuming it has iron sights. If the iron sights produce good groups then it is probably the scope. If not, then you are stuck for sure. You may also want to shoot some field points out of the thing to see if you can get good groups. If the field points group well, at least you have a starting point to go from. If it shoots field points well, but the broadheads fly like crap, then I suspect that you have a tuning problem. Your bowshop should be able to get you straightened out pretty quickly. If they are telling you that they are too busy, find another one. I know some guys that have a local shop and at this time of year they are slowing down for sure. Same way every year. End of October and early November and they get a little breather. Hope this helps. Jim
Old 11-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cardeer, I don' t know whats wrong with your bow but I hope you get it taken care of fairly quickly, and not too expensively. A guy like you shouldn' t have to miss out on any type of hunting seasons, Also if your not hunting you' ll have to much spare time on your hands and I don' t think society can handle that.. Good Luck to you and hope you get this temporary dilema figured out.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cardeer, are you wearing one of those neclaces I keep reading about? If anyone deserves a trophy class buck it is you!
Old 11-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I think I got it fixed. It was the scope. The guy at cabelas said that x-bows just hammer the haites out of a scope. I put a new scope on it and sighted it in and made 10 shots in the center ring with all 10 shots. Scrap one simmons scope. These stinkin x-bows are a pain in the butt.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad to hear your back to normal,Well the x-bow anyway.