Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever had one of these days?!!!

Old 10-31-2003, 02:15 PM

Default Have you ever had one of these days?!!!

Head out yesterday evening to hunt a stand right on the edge of a swamp. I put the stand up back in August in prime location. I am totally scent free and sneaking in as quiet as possible......I am hunting the bed!!!!. Get the tree, tie my bow to the rope, climb up 3 steps on my climbing stick and reach for my climbing belt on my seat of pants harness. You know the one thats in the little pouch above your butt, wrap it around the tree and hook it up. I get up to the stand, now its time to reach around again and get the rope cinch, wrap it around the tree and hook up my main harness belt, cool I am almost there. Now I unhook my climbing belt which is a total pain because I have a back pack on, my other harness belt is pulling on me, and those clamps are a pain to undo one handed. Well I finally get it unhooked so I can get into the stand. The belt flys around the tree at lightning speed and BLAM! hit my metal climbing stick! making enough noise to wake the dead![:@] I am really cussing right now while I am climbing into the stand. Pissed and sweating I start to screw in my bow holder, guess what it won' t go into the tree.. crap[:@], now I am really sweating and mad so I try another spot...finally got it in. I have sweated so much getting into the tree I am having to spray down again, got a new back pack and now I can' t remember which pocket I put my Scentshield in[:@]. The darn thing must have 20 pockets, I have so much stuff with me I feel like I am turkey Hunting. Now I am really cussing myself. Well you can pretty much guess it I did' nt see any deer[]! So right around dark I pull the rope up and tie my bow up to lower it. I start to lower it and the rope starts to come untied, I catch it the bow as it is falling Blam!! hits the base of my stand! Scares away whatever deer was around. I get down finally in one piece and head back to the truck. When I get to the truck I fell something wet all over my hand, I turn on the truck light and my whole hand is covered with blood[]. Appaerntly when I caught my Bowtech bow I grabbed under the quiver ( It was dark now!) and you can pretty much guess that it was me not the deer that got the wrong end of the broadhead[>:]. I sat down on my ATV and slammed a cold one! I love bowhunting!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 02:52 PM

Default RE: Have you ever had one of these days?!!!

I feel your pain, man. A few years back a tripped and fell while sneaking to my stand. Everything is going fine after that - right up until the 7-pointer showed up. I just about got to full draw when he was about 12 yards and my bowstring snapped almost sending me to the ground from 20 feet up. The cut in the string was perfect, like someone had cut it with a pair of scissors. Only thing I can think is that when I tripped a broadhead sliced across the string (I had one nocked while sneaking in that wasn' t nocked after I fell). What can you do? I went back to the truck and slammed a cold one.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, well I' m laughing because I can totally relate. I' ve had more than my share of experiences where it seems like nothing goes my way.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:31 PM

the other day i got to my spot about 3:OO pm. about 3:15 a lady walks by me at about 20 yards walking her dogs singing to herself. about 3:45 the farmer starts cutting his grass about 100 yards away. about 4:10 the farmers littel beagle catches my scent and starts walking my way, it stops about 2 yards parallel to me and sniffs then looks over right at me, stares for about 5 second, i wiggle my eyes at the dog and it takes off running barking like he has seen a burglar. about 4:30 the lady and her dogs come walkng back by, this time they walked behind me but even closer, maybe 7 or 8 yards away. about 4:45 the famer finishes cutting the patch of grass, get off the mower, opens the hood tools around for a couple minutes, SLAMS the hood back down, backs up, goes forward, backs up again them rides back up the hill. about 5:10 3 doe pop out of the tree line and casually walk down towards me, one gets into my shooting lane, i starts to draw my bow, the arrow bounces all over the arrow rest, souds like i dropped a bee-bee in a round copper pot, deer vanish!
Old 10-31-2003, 07:15 PM

I got a chance to hunt up in Missouri at my in-laws a couple of years ago. Got up in the stand, took off my quiver and nocked a arrow. The quiver fell off the hook I had it on and the rest of my arrows hit the ground. I thought all I need is one arrow. Not 5 minutes later a big 8 pt comes walking right in to my stand. I draw and shoot clean miss, arrow went right across his back(did' nt bend at the waist). He never heard it. I had to sit there and watch a trophy buck eating acorns right next to my quiver for 30 minutes. I thought I was going to throw up!!!