Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The 10 o' clock Deer......

Old 10-31-2003, 08:44 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default The 10 o' clock Deer......

...still lives. I have been complaing because I hadn' t seen any deer this year. Then yesterday at 10:30 am i' m taking a little snack break and I pull a bannana out of my cargo pocket. it' s all beat up from hiking in and climbing the tree so I' m flicking pieces of it out of the tree. Sitting with my crossbow on my lap, gloves off and I see movement. 25 yards from me perfect position for a quartering away shot is a 6 pointer. he' s got his nose to the ground and walking away and past my stand. I tried to bleat him in but he just walked slightly faster away. I don' t think he saw me, but I' m sure he had to hear me shuffling around trying to get my act together. He meandered around in the thick stuff and in a minute or two he walked out of site. I figured it couldn' t hurt to try to rattle him back....but I droped my rattle bag. I spent 20 minutes trying to pick it up with a hook on a line. Didn' t work. I figured if I was gonna come down to get that I might as well move my stand to a location I thought would be better for an evening hunt.

I was getting settled in to the new tree when somehow I kicked out my standing platform. So I' m struggling with that thin cord that connects the two pieces of the climber together. Finally get it back up and start to relax. I take my bow off the back of the upper piece of the stand only to discover that while I was fighting with that damned thing, I knocked my quiver off my crossbow. So another 45 minutes trying to hook my quiver before giving up, climbing down, getting everything back together and climbing back up. at this point, I' ve made just a little less noise than a heard of elephants. I' m up in the tree for about 40 minutes when I start nodding off really bad. I decided that as bad as I wanted to be there for the evening hunt time, I had better call it a day. I came home and drank a beer and carved pumpkins with my kids. At least I got that momentary glimpse of the Buck.

David
Old 10-31-2003, 09:06 AM

Default RE: The 10 o' clock Deer......

You should have scored a few brownie points from the Mrs for the pumpkin carving though.[8D]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you had an unwanted hunting companion named Murphy!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:16 PM

dpv,

sounds more like you were fishing than hunting

willie
Old 10-31-2003, 01:42 PM

Man that sounds like me!!!!!!!!, I was tying my drop line to my bow to lower it to the ground and the rope came untied just as I was lowering it. I caught the bow just as it hit the bottom of my stand! Making the loudest racket in the world, scaring every deer to the next county. I cussed myself all the way back to my 4 wheeler. Got back to my truck and started loading everything up. My hand was all wet, I turned on the light in the truck and I was bleeding like a sive. Apparently when I caught my bow up in the tree I grabed up under the quiver and you can guess what cut my hand[]. Those darn broadheads are so sharp I did' nt even feel it cut. It cut it clean to the bone. Now when I see videos of bowhunters shooting complete pass thrus and the deer just stands there like nothing happened, I understand why. Probably did' nt feel a thing!
Old 10-31-2003, 06:11 PM

Sounds like you had an unwanted hunting companion named Murphy!
murphy is my shadow, he follows me everywhere. i have two left feet as soon as i step into the woods. braches smaking me in the face on the way through and on the ass on my way out. i have scratches all over my hands and legs... thorns stuck in my arms. but its worth it!!
Old 10-31-2003, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

SOUNDS LIKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD DAY TO SLEEP IN
BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME OUT[&:]
Old 10-31-2003, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don' t fret I had a day just like that tonight! I am so mad at myself right now.... but I can' t wait till the morning![:-] Youth hunt here in Wi, should get the deer up and about! Hopefully!