Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping clothes scent free?

Old 10-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Keeping clothes scent free?

What type of methods do hunters use in order to keep their clothes scent free while storing them?
Old 10-30-2003, 12:03 PM

Default RE: Keeping clothes scent free?

I don' t necessarily try to keep mine scent free. I wash them in scent free detergent and make sure they are completely dry, on a clothesline if weather permits. Then I store them in a plastic storage bin that you can get at any Walmart that I have let set outside for several days in the weather to remove that plastic smell. I also put an HS Scents earth wafer in with them and let them get good and ' dirty' smelling while in storage. I have not had any bad luck with the earth scent wafers. Others like the white acorn ones, but I don' t have white oaks here in Nebraska, and I' m not sure if the deer would know the difference or not. We do have dirt, though.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting clothes NEVER come in the house during season other than to wash them if they get real dirty(gut a few deer and blood stains occur). Always hang outside(live very rural area) and let nature give them the surrounding odor. Steve
Old 10-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

I think there are alot of ways to prevent a large amount of unnatural scents on your clothes, but I don' t think it is possible to keep them scent free.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

At the beginning of the season all of my stuff gets washed in either scent free detergent, or one with a slight cover scent. After that, it all gets hung outside for a couple of days to dry and get rid of anything that is somewhat unnatural.
After that, it all goes into a big rubbermaid tub with a sealed lid.

After each hunt, only my outer layers (jacket, pants, gloves) go back into the tub. Everything else, tshirts, underlayers, socks, etc.... goes into a plastic garbage bag that gets washed when I get home. After drying, they will go back into the tub.

I must be doing something right, I have seen more deer this year than all other years combined. I also have yet to get busted.....at least this year
Old 10-30-2003, 05:49 PM

keep mine in a rubbermaid tube (walmart) have a screen bottom in it, i put leaves and dirt under it. i have read someplace that garbage bags leaves a scent, don' t know but the tub works for me.