Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Passed up a small buck

Old 10-30-2003, 11:15 AM

Default Passed up a small buck

My only trip into the woods this year was on oct. 7th. The temperature was around 70 degree' s and i took my shirt off going to my stand to try and avoid sweating. I took all the precautions i could think of (scent soap' s, shampoo, washed my clothes in scent reducing laundry soap, special deodorant and got dressed in the field) to eliminate odor. I' ve only killed one deer with my bow in 5 year' s of hunting and that was the previous year I arrowed a small six. I was in stand around an hour and hadn' t seen anything then i accidently hit my release on my bow. At the same time i caught movemeent about 40 yards away. There was a Healthy six point looking directly up at me. I held still and prayed my camo and scent eliminators did there job. The buck lost interest in the noise in just a matter of seconds and started coming directly towards me. I was at full draw and the buck had worked to within 12 yards when something caught his attention, out of the corner of my eye I could see a doe only 30 yard' s away the buck quartered and was perfectly broadside. I put my pin on the deer' s vital' s and watched him walk away to join the doe. Even thought i knew I wasn' t going to shoot a deer unless it was a mature buck I was shaking so bad I almost fell out of my tree. Haven' t had the chance to hunt since but with the colder weather moving in I' ll be on stand waiting for that big boy this weekend.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:41 AM

Default RE: Passed up a small buck

Self control is something many hunters (and non-hunters for that matter) lack. At least you realized the potential for trouble of following through with the shot. You deserve a little credit for that. Good luck getting him on saturday.

Those shakes are what we refer to as buck fever. They never go away - you just need to learn to control them. One of the easiest ways of doing that is to stop looking at those damn horns once you determine he' s a shooter. Concentrate on the vitals and make a clean kill.

If those shakes ever go away completely then you need to retire the bow and stay at home in front of the tube watching college football (LOL).
Old 10-30-2003, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Passed up a small buck

Actually I let the buck walk, he wasn' t quite what I was looking for. It was hard to let him pass.