Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WISCONSIN BOWHUNTERS AGAINST " T" ZONE

Old 10-30-2003, 06:25 AM

Default WISCONSIN BOWHUNTERS AGAINST " T" ZONE

I BOWHUNT IN WISCONSIN AND WAS UPSET WITH THE TIMING OF THE " T" ZONE SEASON THIS YEAR. YESTERDAY I CALLED THE CENTRAL DNR OFFICE AND ASKED WHY THE TIMING OF THIS WEEKEND WAS CHOSEN. I TALKED TO KYLE WHO IS THE ASSISTANT DEER, BEAR AND ELK ECOLOGIST FOR THE STATE. HE TOLD ME THAT THE REASON FOR THE TIMING OF THE " T" ZONE WAS BECAUSE IT COINCIDED WITH PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES. I JUST ABOUT SH$# MYSELF WHEN HE TOLD ME THIS. HE THEN WENT ON TO EXPLAIN THAT THEY FIGURE THAT THE MOST HUNTERS WOULD BE INVOLVED IN THE " T" ZONE HUNT IF THEY DID IT WITH THE PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES. KIDS USUALLY GET A DAY OFF OF SCHOOL FOR THIS. I GUESS LIKE EVERY 4 OR 5 YEARS THAT PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES FALL ON THE FIRST WEEKEND OF NOVEMBER, WHICH IS PRIME LATE PRE RUT FOR MOST OF THE STATE. HE TOLD ME THAT IF ANYONE WANTED TO VOICE THEIR OPINION OR HAD ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT THEY SHOULD CALL HIM. SO, FOR ANY OF YOU THAT FEEL HOW I DO ABOUT THIS SHOULD GIVE HIM A CALL AND LET HIM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. KYLE SEEMS LIKE A DECENT GUY AND PLEASE DON' T CALL HIM IF YOUR GOING TO YELL AT HIM OR BLAME HIM. HE IS NOT THE GUY THAT MADE THE DECISION ON THIS ALL BY HIMSELF. GIVE HIM A CALL, GO TO THIS LINK AND CALL THE PHONE NUMBER GIVEN FOR THE CENTRAL OFFICE (ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PAGE) AND ASK FOR KYLE IN WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/aboutdnr/
Old 10-30-2003, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WISCONSIN BOWHUNTERS AGAINST " T" ZONE

I don' t hunt in Wisconsin, but I was just curious as to what the " T" Zone was...?? Hope you get fixed whatever the problem is...
Old 10-30-2003, 06:35 AM

This T-zone hunt does not bother me, but can see why it would upset others.

I would suggest that you have an alternet time for the hunt that would address the issue of getting more hunters in the woods before you call. Or even a diffrent way to handel the over population problem that we have in these small areas.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:04 AM

hvyhitter. T zone is parts of the state that are over-populated with deer. There are special anterless only hunts for these areas. Starting today and going until Sunday is a special T zone hunt. This means for these areas that no buck can be shot with gun or bow. If one decides to bowhunt for doe, they must wear blaze orange. Stork I agree with you 100% I was hoping to get some ideas on alternatives from this forum.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:03 PM

When I contacted the DNR about the zoneT hunt, I was told that it was in that timeframe mostly due to scheduling. They want it later because of farmers and other late fall activities that may be putting non hunters in harms way. Also, they want it late enough in the fall so that the leaves are mostly off the tress for additional safety. He acknowldedged that there was no ideal time to do this. I guess I agree with most of the reasoning, but it doesn' t mean I have to like it.

The blaze orange is going to be tough to get around, safety first. But the only reason that I can think of as to why they don' t let bowhunters still shoot buck is that they think that the gun hunters will shoot bucks during the zoneT hunt, and attach a bow tag to it. Unfortunately, this would happen alot IMO, and it would be pretty easy to get away with since most people register deer at the local bar and no one looks twice at it. Simple solution, have the DNR do the deer registration durning the zoneT hunt, they should be able to tell the difference between a gunshot and a bowshot. This would let us still hunt bucks during the zoneT weekend. Course, you still have the blaze orange to work around.