Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally got my first bow kill!!!

Old 10-30-2003, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally got my first bow kill!!!

I' m 16 and I have been hunting for three years know. I have gotten 4 deer with a gun but I just couldn' t get one with a bow. Well two or three nights ago I was sitting in my stand I shot right over the back of a big doe. However just last night a buck came in and I shot and dropped it in its tracks. I don' t know why I' m shooting so high but I was aiming low on this one. Also this shoot entered about 6 inches below the back? I' m using rocket steelheads and the package said that they can bust through bone if they have to, but they will try to go around bone if they can. I' m thinking it would have been a perfect double lung but the broadhead hit a rib or something and bounced up into the spine? Any ideas what could have happened. Well anyways it is my biggest buck to date it is a big six point. This deer has like 6 or 7 inch g2s and the spread is probably 15 or 16 outside. This deer also has a lot of mass. I think i' m going to get this one mounted because its my first bowkill and it is a really big buck for the area. Well i' m excited, but I have used all of my buck tags this year and gun season hasn' t opened! This may sound funny but I have been trying really hard to get a doe and I cannot get one! I have gotten 5 bucks and 0 does. So I get to hunt the rest of the year for strictly does and hopefully can break this curse. -Sam
Old 10-30-2003, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Finally got my first bow kill!!!

Congrats on your first bow kill, I do have a question, do you pratcie with your broadheads, this could be why you are shooting high if you don' t.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:14 AM

Congrat' s man ......that' s awesome !! Tazman is right .......have you practiced with them ???
I tried Steelheads years ago and didn' t like them....... a few observations I made.........

1. They were the only expandable I ever have used that shot differently than my field points. My steelheads shot a little high !

2. I think (by design) they are noisy and 3 out of 3 deer I shot at ducked. Never had another deer duck with any other broadhead with that particular bow set up.

I know plenty of people use them with no trouble ......and many deer are taken with them (I' ve even seen some) but the above..... and the fact that the threads are too short on them , is my experience with them !!

Good luck and way to go.......I would get that deer mounted if I were in your shoes !!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you bending at the waist? If you are not this will cause you to shoot high.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:34 AM

Congrats Nuge. Just curious, are you hunting the rockford area?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:04 AM

great job, i would get the deer mounted if i were you. not everyone can say that they killed a nice buck with there bow. nonetheless, there first deer with a bow.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Sam !
Old 10-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

congrats.....
maybe you are lifting your head as soon as you leave go and lifting your bow....
try to follow through just as if you were shooting targets... and believe me its harder to do when you are shooting at a deer, you have the old adrenaline and nerves to deal with which can play a big part.............
Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I' m hunting the rockford area. I shot my steelheads and they hit dead center. I practice from a tree and bend at the waist but I don' t think about that when I' m shooting at a deer. I aimed in the lower third of the deer. It could have ducked, im not sure.

Quick Reply: Finally got my first bow kill!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.