Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great hunt yesterday!

Old 10-30-2003, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Great hunt yesterday!

Had a neat hunt yesterday, almost hit a young doe driving in, then sat on stand until dark and didn' t see a thing. Well I packed it in and just as I hit the edge of the field (wind in face) I saw the outline of a doe right on the edge of the field at about 20 feet, she had no idea I was there. I froze and slid over right next to the woods, she could not have been 20 feet away! I waited a few then bleated to see what she would do, she looked right at me for about 30 seconds, took a few steps out into the field and then started in my direction real cautious like and then another doe stepped out right where she had been! I bleated again, they both were staring at me, turning their heads side to side and slowly moving closer, I eased the bow up with them looking right at me and figured what the heck and slid my release on the string and brought the bow all the way up, they just stood there, the first one was within 15 foot and the only light was from the moon. I couldn' t believe I could be out in the open that close and they hadn' t taken off! I started to draw and that finally made them jump, they ran out into the field about 40 yards and stood there again looking at me for a few minutes while I slowly lowered the bow. They went right back to feeding and I slowly continued my walk back to the truck. Pretty neat experience. I knew it was to late to shoot, but I just had to see how far I could go without them spooking, they never really spooked, they were just nervous.

Old 10-30-2003, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Great hunt yesterday!

LOL, I started reading the part where you were drawing your bow and I' m thinking to myself " is he crazy?" .
Old 10-30-2003, 04:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

" is he crazy?" .
Yes,[&:] but not stupid![:-]
Old 10-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

I was anticipating a " shot in the dark" end to this story and thought to myself...nawwww, not Taz! Hehe! I hope you get a shot in the light on them next trip to the stand!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

wolfen I am sure I could have pulled it off, there was enough moon light to see the pin over her back and lower it just enough to stick her, but I don' t want to lose my truck and all my gear over a doe. I know where I will be setting a stand the next time I hunt there though.[8D]
Old 10-30-2003, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

sounds like an awesome hunt
Old 10-31-2003, 07:11 AM

This story typifies exactly what anti-hunters cannot understand. Sometimes the " best hunts" don' t involve killing at all. Being that close to deer is just an awesome experience. I hope your next experience is with a monster during broad daylight.