Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Worse than stealing my stand

Old 10-29-2003, 10:29 PM

Default Worse than stealing my stand

monster bucks post got me steaming. It has been 2 years but im still p.o.d. I had a doe tag to fill so after school one day a friend and i built a 5 min platform in a tree right by a road where there had been does crossing nightly. That was at 4pm so we decided i would wait till the next night just to let the deer cool down. Well later that night i get a call from a supposed friend who wants me to come help him track this doe that he wounded. So i asked where and his said he was hunting out of this neat little stand that someone built by the road........[:@][:@][:@].....Mad doesnt even come close....needless to say that was the last deer we saw there and we never even found it he made a very bad shot. What would anyone would have done, or have you had anything similar happen?
Old 10-30-2003, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Worse than stealing my stand

First...I would not build a stand right by the road. It is illegal to do so where I live, and it might be where you are. That is like advertising.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think its illegal here in CA as well. If not, it should be[:@]
Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 AM

AND what are you mad about again?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2003, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Permanent stands are like a big fat hand with a pointing finger and a sign that says

HUNT HERE!!!!!

any questions?[]
Old 10-30-2003, 09:54 AM

I shot an Elk out of a another guys stand once. I found the wollow with my partner. He and his partner set up stands the following year. The third guy in the party thought he had a better spot to hunt opening morning so I told him I was going to use his stand if he wasn' t. He said go ahead. He wouldn' t even help me load my cow when he came down the road and founds us knee deep in Wapiti.

Public land equals public stand. I am sure some one has sat in mine before. As long as it is still there so be it. I do remove my bottom three pegs on the way down each hunt so they better bring their own or be very skillful.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:15 AM

Someone stole my deer stand and it made me mad as hell!I don' t think what your friend did was worse than stealing a persons stand.He did help build it,right?I' m afraid to leave my lock on stands in the woods now.I' m not rich and if I can' t hunt the stand everyday,I won' t put one up.It' s taken some of the pleasure out of hunting.Knowing there are people like that in the woods.You can take out the bottom steps but I would not put it past some guys to carry a few steps with them along with bolt cutters looking for stands.[:@]I was thinking of leaving a note telling them that they tripped an infared camera and I now have pictures of them.Even if there' s no camera IT MAY GET THEM THINKING!If I find the guy I might tie him to a tree![>:]
Old 10-30-2003, 11:32 AM

It would somewhat upset me, but what are you going to do? I personally will never hunt out of someone' s stand, or set up anywhere near one, if I know where they are. Public land or not.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:34 AM

I better explain myself a little more.

1. It is not illegal here as long as you have permission, which i had, the other guy had permission there in yrs past but not yet that year.

2. It was not the guy who helped me build it but another.

3. As for using someone elses stand i personally believe that is wrong. whether it is along a road or not. I hope no one that practices hunting out of others stand moves closer to me.

Quick Reply: Worse than stealing my stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.