Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your opinion or experience on....

Old 10-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Your opinion or experience on....

How much wind is too much wind to bow hunt. Gust right now are 15 - 20 mph from the west. I have stands that are pretty secure but what about deer movement with the wind? Northern Illinois can be pretty windy help me out.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Your opinion or experience on....

If you have any stands set up where the deer would be out of the wind that would probably be your best bet.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually go on foot on real windy days. I' ve had good success sneaking around areas with natural terrain that helps shield the wind.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:40 AM

It depends. If the winds are gusting like that for at least a couple days or longer, than I' ll hit the woods. However, if the gust are forecasted like that for just a day, I' ll stay in the warm bed and day dream... I used to live in Oklahoma where every day was windy and the deer are used to it. Now I live in NW Ga. and normally it' s calm. So the deer usually beds down when the winds are gusting like you mentioned (or so, that' s been my experience)...

As far as too much wind to hunt, I would say if one saw a mobile home go flying by that would definitely be too much wind to hunt[8D]
Old 10-28-2003, 12:50 PM

JeramyK Do you actually have luck bowhunting on the ground. I just don' t seem to be able to get close enough for a bow.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:04 PM

I' ll hunt as long as I don' t get blown out of the tree! I probably would make a call on not to hunt if sustained winds were in excess of 20 MPH. If you are talking gusts up to 20 MPH, I' d still hunt.

About a week or so ago here in NJ we had a day or two of very strong winds. I' m talking 25 MPH sustained with gusts over 35MPH. I would not waste time hunting in those conditions, but what you' d want to do is hunt on the very next day when the winds subside. Here' s my thought: Deer will not move much on those windy days, but they will move in their safe zone where they feel comfortable. However, once the wind calms down they will start moving to see what food has come down from above, etc. I always try to hunt those days right after a good wind. I can' t say I have had great success, but I feel more confident this is the way to proceed after a decent wind.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:14 PM

I don' t get to hunt as much as I' d like so I' ll almost hunt in anything if I can get the time.

Weather.com is forcasting a perfect wind direction for my favorite stand this evening - but the winds will be between 12 to 15 mph. Gonna make it much colder that' s for sure.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:17 PM

You can' t get one if you are sitting at the house for sure. I got one this weekend in high wind and rain in the middle of the day! If the deer are moving, you have the advantage because their hearing is hampered.

When I hunt in high winds I hunt in the safe areas. Very thick and protected. Deer usually won' t come out it open areas in high wind. Plus by being in thick woods and cover the wind won' t effect your arrow flight as much.