Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about deer mount

Old 10-28-2003, 01:16 PM

Default RE: Question about deer mount

I had my first mount done last season. I paid $525 and it came out great. As other posters have said, it' s best to get their names thru word-of-mouth. I got my guy thru a state game official so I knew the guy would be good. Plus, when I was there dropping my deer off, I got to see his work. What a business! He had stripers, fox, blue fin tuna, deer, elk, etc. Great work. He even allowed me to hang in his showroom and admire his work.

On the flip side, I heard from a friend that his brother in law in Md had a mount done for $250 and he had it back in 2 months. To me, that' s too quick of a turnaround. Additionally, the taxidermist left several pins in the cape and there were some gentle flaws.

So, price and word of mouth work best. It doesn' t hurt to start your research now and visit a showroom or two so you know where to bring your deer on your lucky day!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:29 PM

Default RE: Question about deer mount

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE I AGREE WITH THE EYES AND MOUTH/NOSE AREA ARE VERY IMPORTANT. ONE THING I DO WHEN I LOOK AT MOUNTS IS GO UNDER THE MOUNT AND LOOK STRAIGHT UP AT IT (AS IF YOU WERE LAYING UNDER THE DEER) AND LOOK AT THE POSITION OF THE EYES. THE GOOD ONES WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD AND SET INTO THE SKULL, THE BAD ONES WILL BE LOOKING TO THE SIDES AND APPEAR TO BE " BUG-EYED" . ONE MORE THING, SOME OF THE TAXIDERMIST WILL MAKE THE WHISKERS APPEAR WET BY PUTTING DROPS ON THEM AND IN A FEW YEARS I HAVE SEEN THESE WATER DROPS TARNISH AND LOOK YELLOWISH. ALSO THERE IS REALLY NO NEED FOR A GOOD TAXIDERMIST TO USE MUCH WHITE PAINT WHEN DOING A MOUNT. IF YOU SEE ALOT OF WHITE PAINT IN THE EARS AND AROUND THE NOSE, CHANCES ARE THAT IS NOT THE BEST TAXIDERMIST. JUST MY OPINIONS.