Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first shot at a deer!

Old 10-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default My first shot at a deer!

I got my first shot at a deer yesterday as a pack of 4 does came into my area! I picked out the largest one and pulled back without them noticing, even tho they were 10-12 yards away, and then put my 10 yard site on the her. She glanced up at me and I shot right then. She jumped the string. [:' (] Because of my busy schedule this was my last chance to bow hunt until after rifle season here (Nov. 15). [:' (]
everything should be a learning experience, so:

questions:
1- Do they jump the string as often without looking at teh shooter?

2- How spooked are the deer after rifle season?

by the way I wouldn' t trade the experience of having taken a shot (with all the frustrations) for anything!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 AM

Default RE: My first shot at a deer!

From what I' ve seen deer pretty much always react to bow noise. How much any one particular deer will react is impossible to predict. I' m curious how much # you' re shooting. I' ve never had a deer that close duck or jump and arrow although it can and dose happen.
As far as deer being spooked after rifle season I belive that is inevitable. In Souther Maine there is very little woods for the number of hunter around. These deer tend to be pretty jumpy for quite a while after the shooting stops. What I' ve found works for me here is if you can find small parcels of woods that are close to houses that you can get permission to hunt with a bow, that are too small or close to houses to facilitate hunting with a firearm. The deer will likely be pushed into these aeras and since they can' t be hunted with guns will probably hold there and give you a good oppturnity to get to them where they aren' t getting pressured and spooked. I hope this can be helpful.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot 60#, no reason it should be slow... I' m also not saying I didn' t aim too high, that' s possilbe.[&:]
Old 10-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

1st of all, deer do NOT ' jump the string.' If I understand you, you shot a little high. A deer' s natural instinct is to squat. She dropped & you shot a little high. At 10 yards with a modern compound, " jumping the string" does not exsist. Always aim for the lower 1/3 of the torso. If they drop, you will center the chest cavity. If not, it' s a clean heart shot.
Good luck
Old 10-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

1st of all, deer do NOT ' jump the string.' If I understand you, you shot a little high.
DM, thanks but the fact that I' m not a perfect shooter has already been established:

I' m also not saying I didn' t aim too high, that' s possilbe.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:45 PM

1st of all, deer do NOT ' jump the string.'
When we say " jump the string" we mean squat. Thats what it is called

Old 10-27-2003, 12:50 PM

To answer your first question...An alert deer (as you have described ) will respond faster than a deer that is unaware of danger.

If you can get a standing still deer unaware of danger, that' s the ultimate shot.

Of course, then when you miss, the blames all yours to shoulder too!LOL
Old 10-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

1st of all, deer do NOT ' jump the string.'
Oh yes they do.

She glanced up at me and I shot right then.
You have to be extremely careful if they spot you. What I ussually do is wait until they take another step or two after they see you. If they are real nervous, I won' t even shoot.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

bobco, that was the probelm... she was walking and just stopped looked. I try and do that " suprise myself" shot thing to keep from flinching. Welp, I was suprised
I don' t think she was tho, she was readier then me [&:]
Old 10-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' d have to say then that she didn' t totally identify you, but got nervous. If she did identify you, she would have bolted. If you stay totally still, sometimes they will calm down somewhat. If they do and take another few steps, that' s when I' d let em have it. In your case I can definetely see how the string jump could have happened. She was ready to bolt, she just needed to identify you.

Did you miss her cleanly?

Quick Reply: My first shot at a deer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.