Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first shot at a deer!

Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My first shot at a deer!

wolfen I have seen it twice in person and more times than I can count in hunting videos, they showed it in slow motion and the split second the arrow left the bow you could see the deer ducking down to jump. I am not saying every deer jumps the string, nor am I saying that it is not used as an excuse for a bad shot an awful lot, but some deer do jump the string.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wolfen, Last season I did make a bad shot right through the guts, That deer never even reacted like it was shot, went out another ten yards so I knocked another arrow and shot it again. It went out about 70 yards layed down and died. I must have canted(sp) my bow on both shots because both of the arrows missed the lungs and hit back to far. One gut one liver. The deer never even ran just trotted stopped and then started walking again. If I did see each arrow hit I would have thought I missed.

I think there are as many perfect shots that are bad hits because of the deer' s reaction. The first deer I mentioned was about 22 yards out and I can' t visualize it spinning on me. I' ve killed alot of deer with the bow. alot. and this one still baffles me. I would love to see apicture of my face when I walked up and saw the entrance wound on that buck,especially after seeing the blood trail and thinking I made the" perfect shot" . I was lucky and admit it with that shot.

BTW, I aim for where I want to hit,not for how I think the deer will react.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:16 AM

Before I state my opinion I' d like to say congrats on getting your first opportunity. That' s a feat in itself and hopefully you' ll have better luck next time.

In my experience, deer do " jump the string" , " squat" , whatever you want to call it but it normally only effects longer range shots. I' ve never had one in that close that was able to react quick enough and I don' t shoot one of those new rocket bows either.

I' ve had it happen twice. Additionally, I' ve had my share of misses in the past and I will however take responsability for all of them!!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Like I said, I' m not beyond missing or saying I missed! I mean, obviously I DID! Just the arrow placement behind the deer, it' s angle in the ground... I just am POSITIVE that deer stood between me and my arrow stuck in the ground! But oh well... next time

by the way stairing right at me they' d have a greater chance at reacting then at just hearing the thump, right? (this goes into the jumping discussion not my miss).
Old 10-28-2003, 08:33 AM

bscofield...

I wasn' t trying to yank your chain or get ya all worked up. In fact, I wouldn' t let it bother me so much. You made a bad shot, the deer jumped the string, whatever......

You had a great day in the field, got your first opportunity and the stars just didn' t line up for you. Enjoy what success you can take away from you hunt and use it as a learning experience.

In the future you should try to avoid releasing until it' s no longer looking at you. It' s hard sometimes but you' ll avoid situtations like this in the future.

You' ll get her next time!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

by the way stairing right at me they' d have a greater chance at reacting then at just hearing the thump, right?
Like I said, nothing is 100%, but I believe your statement is true.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

TX, I should have added more to my post. I' m not worked up. I find the discussion that' s come up interesting. But I' m not upset or anything about it.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:01 AM

My guess, at that range is you shot high. At ten yards with 60# of pull that would have had to be an abnormally qick deer or your shot as you say may have been high. I don' t belive that at ten yards it would make a diffrence if it saw or heard the shot. By the time it reacted that arrow would on its way through. I' m not knocking you. I' ve missed my share, belive me. I' m sure next time you put a pin on an animal this most likely won' t happen again.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 AM

You never hear a guy take responsibility for making a bad shot

It not quite fair to stereotype bow hunters like that. I have never used the " jump the string" excuse for missing a deer. My only excuse that I used is that I missed, need to practice more. Of course, it' s very difficult to practice for every scenerio that one will face in the great outdoors. I can' t even begin to count the number of deers I missed before arrowing my first one. But when I did, I went home and practiced and practiced and practiced...