Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first shot at a deer!

Old 10-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My first shot at a deer!

Did you miss her cleanly?
thankfully yes.

She may have been ready for it. But I don' t think that she made me tho. She had already glanced up at me once and I just sat there still and she continued to walk... there' s always next time
Old 10-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

BobCo19-65

I have never known a deer to jump the string @ 10 yards is all I' m saying... I' ve shot a couple of deer looking straight at me at between 10-18 yards away, & while they react to the sound & movement instinctivly & instantly, it was too late to matter at that range.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve shot a couple of deer looking straight at me at between 10-18 yards away,
That just might be your style and experience.

But for me, I wouldn' t shoot at a deer that was looking right at me.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer don' t jump the string.

Check this article video and pictures and tell me what you think.

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/featu...stringjumping/
Old 10-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Charlie P
That article verified my statement exaclty:

I said:
" Always aim for the lower 1/3 of the torso. If they drop, you will center the chest cavity. If not, it' s a clean heart shot."

They said:
" By aiming at the top of the lower third divider (divide the deer into 3 horizontal lines) you are, or at least should be around the top of the deer' s heart. If the deer jumps, you should get both lungs. If the deer does not jump, or only slightly, then you will heart shoot it."
Old 10-28-2003, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, no way would I purposely shoot at the heart. Some people do, but not me. Why should I when I have a target that is over three times the size that will drop a deer quicker then the heart. Plus, I want my arrow to hit exactly where I aim. Not say, well, I' ll shot here, and if the deer moves does this, then I think I' ll hit here, or if it doesn' t do that, it should hit there. Thats why I will only shoot at relaxed deer, and keep my bow as quiet as possible. Nothing is 100%, but it sure helps the chances.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doemaster, you also said deer don' t jump the string, They do don' t they?

1st of all, deer do NOT ' jump the string
Old 10-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

When we say " jump the string" we mean squat. Thats what it is called
Thanks Rack, I was going to say the same thing.

Bobco I agree with you on not shooting for the heart, but I now aim for the lower portion of the lungs (of course I hunt from the ground) double lung and low if they don' t jump the string resulting in a good blodd trail. My first bow kill jumped the string, I got lucky and spined her, she went down for the count right where I shot her.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Two years ago I took a shot at a relaxed broadside 6 pt. Aimed for the lower third of the body,hit the deer and watched him go down in about 50 yards.

Well, when I got to the downed buck I found something very interesting. The arrow had gone in between the two shoulder blades and angled through one lung and the heart. I still replay this shot in my head and can' t remember that buck spinning, it happened that fast.

The stand was in a hemlock that has a large V' d Oak right in front of it. The oak gives me great cover. Is my bow quite? It sure is. Sometimes they just have a %th sense and know something is wrong. This buck was eating at the time and never even looked in my direction.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Jumping the string is waaaaayyyy overrated, overused and abused as an excuse for " missing" deer. Every time a guy misses a deer he claims the deer " jumped the string" . You never hear a guy take responsibility for making a bad shot or even suspect that they made a bad shot but rather it was due to the supernatural reflexes of the deer that caused their misfortune.

Quick Reply: My first shot at a deer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.