Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Alternatives to tree steps.

Old 02-02-2002, 10:32 AM

Default Alternatives to tree steps.

In many of the areas I hunt I have several tree locations that I use depending on the wind, time of day/year, deer sign, etc. I also have 50 plus tree steps that I use but I'm getting tired of having to remove them after every hunt because I'm sure someone will steal them.
What I would like is a system where I would use conventional steps for the first 10 feet that I could remove every time, and a more permanent step the rest of the way. I was thinking of using pole barn spikes but I'm afraid they would not be strong enough or they may work loose over time. I've also considered extra long lag bolts.
Another concern is that I would like to keep them concealed as much as possible to avoid detection by other hunters.
Any advice would be appreciated.

THANX
Old 02-02-2002, 10:48 AM

Default RE: Alternatives to tree steps.

IMO, I would look at some of the new portable ladders that are available. I really like mine it attaches to the tree using straps and is really easy to put up and take down. Plus they are getting cheaper and cheaper to buy, and depending on brand are available in 12' and 16' which is plenty high enough.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Tree Rat, last season we tried to deter thieves by taking out the bottom 4 or 5 screw in steps each time we left the stand. We had 4 stand locations that we did not hunt the final 2 weeks of the bow season, when we went to take them down for the season...every step still remaining was gone from all 4 trees! The stands were still there since we had them locked in with 3/4" cables, but we have no doubt the thieves would have returned with bolt cutters. We have lost one stand and over 40 steps the past 2 seasons...on private property w/3 of the stands well off the nearest road. Don't think just because you take out a few steps that will deter thieves...that's what we thought. We now plan to use our portable sticks and pack them in/out when we hunt. It's not too bad for my brother and I, but my dad is 69 and for him to go to all this work just because of a bunch of lowlife thieves is kind of sad.

TB
Old 02-02-2002, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-02-2002, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tree Rat,

I use the lag bolt system.In the post season when I do the bulk of my scouting I take along my pack with a 14.4v cordless drill,extra battery pack,and a bunch of 7" grade 8 lag bolts that I have painted black and brown and a small folding saw.It also nice to carry a small note pad to log down not just locations, but huntable wind directions.These camo bolts are harder to see than a person thinks,but if you want you can easily pull the bottom few steps.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can recomend API's hang on steps that use Lag bolts. Just screw the bolts into the tree, then hang the step on the bolt. You leave the bolt in the tree all the time, so you don't have to bother screwing and unscrewing steps. You can hang the steps on the bolts in no time and be hunting. 15 steps should be able to get you high enough for most situations.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-02-2002, 07:48 PM

i am going to try this year a new type of ladder that i am making it might be heavy but i think it will work you take a 2/4 and put your tree steps in and make it so i can take the bottom peice out and replace just high enough so its out of reach

you only live once so live to the extreme
Old 02-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with 5 shot; I used the same system this year with the lag bolt and the aluminum step which slipped over the hex-bolt end. It was simply awesome! I could carry the steps in and out with me, and hang each step on the already-screwed-in bolt as I went up the tree.

The little hex heads left upon getting ready to leave are almost impossible to spot while walking through the woods, and even if someone does see them, the only way they can get them is if they have a socket set with them (or some kind of big crescent wrench or something like that).
Old 02-02-2002, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

I used the API climbing sticks. In Ohio no tree steps (spikes, nails, etc.) are allowed at all on public land; and only on private land with the land owners permission. They came in three pieces that were like 3 feet long. They recommended spacing them about 18", but you could fix it to fit your stature. They hold really tight too. They slipped just a little when I put them up, but after they got "set" on the tree I was bouncing up and down on them and they didn't move at all. Strap on ladders and steps are much friendlier to the tree also. God bless

Brandan

Quick Reply: Alternatives to tree steps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.